This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Last week, Italian fashion brand Gucci made a shocking announcement at the Kering Talk at the London College of Fashion. CEO Marco Bizzarri revealed that the brand will go fur-free starting with their upcoming Spring/Summer 2018 collection.

The fashion industry is one of the biggest sources of pollution today. Not only is the use of animal fur cruel, but it also takes a toll on the environment. This decision was nearly a decade in the making. Gucci had great concern about the footprint they were leaving behind, so going fur free was the next logical step. Along with banning fur, Gucci will also begin using more sustainable production practices. This puts Gucci on par with other brands that have condemned the use of animal products such as Stella McCartney, Armani and Ralph Lauren.

Not only is going fur free an environmental issue, but it is also a social one. Today’s generation is more concerned about where their products are coming from, and they want to support brands who have the same beliefs as them.

Now that more brands are taking the pledge to stop the use of fur, many are hoping the rest of the industry will catch on. With technology today, there is no reason to use animal fur when the textile industry is able to use synthetics that are just as nice and high quality.

Source

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.