Grey’s Anatomy Midseason Premiere – The Sound of Silence is Loud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

****SPOILER ALERT****

It’s been a long week. The reason behind that is the fact that we’ve been trying to process the midseason premiere of Grey’s Anatomy. If you watched the premiere, you were probably on the edge of your seat like us. It was action packed, filled with suspense, and very emotional (we may or may not have cried… like a lot).

The episode opened with Meredith instructing a group of residents in a procedure. She has a small scar on her throat, and a distant (more than usual) look in her eyes. Fast forward and she’s being thrown into walls by a patient, who doesn’t know what’s going on, after she had just consoled him and calmed him down. The tears started sprouting at the corners of our eyes when Alex Karev had to hold back tears as he looked at his best friend, traumatized, deaf and afraid, backboarded as all of the main characters tried to help her. Even more tears begin to fall as Jackson Avery has to remorsefully break Meredith’s jaw so they can intubate her.

You can’t help but feel eery as you watch the episode because it is silent for 80 percent of it, reflecting Meredith’s ear injury and her unfortunate inability to speak. When she can finally hear, it’s heart warming because Alex, her best friend and the only other OG intern left on the show, is there to share that moment with her. Even the moment when Zola is scared of Meredith and doesn’t want to visit her because of her mouth being wired shut due to her broken jaw is heart warming, because we see that Meredith is a real person – probably the most we’ve ever seen out of her in the entire run of the show.

This episode was very free flowing. The camera angles were different than usual, the actors’ mannerisms were slightly different. It had a completely different feel than the last 11-and-a-half seasons. It was tear-jerking (which isn’t that unusual, let’s be honest), stomach-churning, and all around great.

We applaud you, Grey’s creators and directors. We applaud you.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.