Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Great Sexpectations: Every Lie You Have Been Told About Losing Your Virginity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s the dirty little secret that everyone is doing but no one is talking about. Yes, you guessed it. SEX! Isn’t it about time we spread the word?

Introducing Great Sexpectations, your go- to source for loving yourself, feeling sexy, maintaining healthy relationships, handling one night stands, feelings and so much more!

*Disclaimer* This article is to state that the following things don’t happen to everyone when they lose their virginities, however if these things have happened to you personally, this article is not meant to take anything away from your journey.

There are a lot of misconceptions about losing your virginity.  Let’s be real, many of them have been told to scare you into not having sex, but the question remains.  Has anyone ever really fact checked them? Here are the top four lies you probably have been told about losing your virginity.

1. It’s going to hurt, like really bad

Pain with sex the first time does not happen to everyone. Planned Parenthood states “The first time you have vaginal sex, it may hurt, or feel good, or both. There might be pain and bleeding the first time a penis or fingers go into your vagina, but it doesn’t happen to everybody.”

2. It has to be with the right person

This is not true either, as many people have sex with the wrong person every day and still end up finding the right one. Don’t believe me, ask your parents.

3. You’ll feel better after you lost it

This is not true all the time. Some people feel better, some feel worse, and some just aren’t sure what they feel.  All of these feelings are normal and valid.

4. You become less innocent

You do not lose all of your innocence from one event. There is still tons of things that you have yet to discover, sex related or not.

Elizabeth is a Senior at Lasell College, she is a writer and President for the Lasell Her Campus chapter.