Gigi Hadid x Marc Jacobs: Cultural Appropriation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Gigi Hadid has been gaining popularity in the model world and is quickly rising to the top.  Recently, there has been an enormous amount of drama surrounding her modeling, her love life, and her personal life.   

Recently, Hadid rocked the NYFW catwalk decked out in Marc Jacobs.  On her head, she sported a wig that was made into dreadlocks.  The dreadlocks, from the Etsy store Dreadlocks by Jena, were custom-made wool hair extensions in an assortment of pastel colors.  The self-taught creator, located in Palataka, Fla., sells her dreads for up to $155 a set.

The show itself caught lots of backlash for the appearance of dreadlocks on predominately white models.  Many of the models were also slammed, but Hadid got hit a bit harder for sporting her dreadlocks throughout the day post show.  Blamed for “cultural appropriation,” the people of Twitter were not happy.    

@Vcutedragon on Twitter wrote, “OFC MARC JACOBS WOULD DO THIS LIKE WE GET IT U R TRYING TO BE EDGY BUT DREADLOCKS R NOT 2BE EDGY & NOT FOR WHITE PEOPLE,” obviously, expressing a sense of distaste for the topic.

Marc Jacobs was quick to defend the models, posting on Instagram statements such as, “I don’t see color or race — I see people” and “funny how you don’t criticize women of color for straightening their hair.”

Stylist Guido Palau had comments on the situation in defense towards Marc Jacobs and Gigi Hadid.  He said that Marc Jacobs took something ‘street’ and ‘raw’ and transformed it into something ‘much more sophisticated and fashionable.’  He argues that style can come from clashing cultures, food, music, and fashion.  The inspiration for the collection and styling of models came from a mixture of rave culture, 80s London fashion and Harajuku girls, not trying to make fun of any culture.

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.