This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’re looking for a fun, mid-priced activity in the Boston area, look no further than The Clayroom in Brookline! Here you can throw your own pottery, paint an original piece, or paint premade pieces. I’ve been here twice to paint premade pottery and had a blast both times!

Firstly, you’ll need to book a reservation on their website. The booking fee is only $10, which makes it pretty accessible. On arrival, each piece is individually priced so you can find something that you love that also fits your budget. They have countless mugs, bowls, plates, pitchers, and more. They also stock more unique items like animal figurines, garden gnomes, and even clay bongs. There are so many options that it’s hard to go wrong. 

As a disclaimer, the space is pretty small and can often get crowded and loud. I would recommend that any sensory-sensitive painters ask if they have a calmer space you can work in (they have a basement level as well as a second building!) or come prepared with noise-blocking earbuds or headphones. The feeling of the unpainted ceramic can also bug those with texture sensitivity, so consider if you may need gloves or something else to hold your work with. 

When it comes to the painting process, you’re pretty much left to your own devices. While this can be daunting for some, they have scannable QR codes on every table that lead to instructional videos. Even without the videos, the technique is pretty easy to pick up. You just pick your colors at one of the stations in the room and paint like you would on a canvas! I recommend sketching your design out in pencil first to make sure you have plenty of room. 

Finally, when you’re done painting you can bring your piece to the front to pay. Remember to always take a picture of it before you leave! When you return to pick up your art after it’s been fired, they need to see it to help you find it. After you leave your piece it will be available for pick up within about five days and you have until the end of the next month to pick it up. 

I love pottery painting. It’s a great way to get creative with friends, family, or a partner with a low barrier to entry. It’s especially great for birthdays, anniversaries, and whenever you feel like treating yourself. The Clayroom makes this process very accessible and I absolutely recommend giving it a try!

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.