This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Everyone has heard of metal music before, thinking that it’s all about darkness and/or satanic themes. But there are actually many more types of genres of metal that aren’t scary or satanic or would send someone’s parents into kahoots. When most people think about metal, the first type they would think is death metal or black metal, which would be considered the scarier side of metal since they both contain screaming vocals, rapid drumming and guitars playing distortedly, mainly because that might be the only metal they know. In this article, I will be able to expand the knowledge of a few about more genres of metal besides black and death metal. I’ll be speaking about genres that aren’t well known or genres that aren’t as popular anymore. Let’s begin.

Nu-Metal: Nu metal was a genre of metal that became a thing in the mid 90s. This genre combines metal and other genres of music like hip hop or alternative. This genre died down between the end of 2003 or 2004. Bands that are classified as Nu metal are System Of A Down, Linkin Park, Korn, Slipknot, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach, Drowning Pool and Static-X.

Christian Metal: Christian metal is surprisingly a genre within metal. Though it involves the tempos of metal, the music itself is dedicated to Christianity, including the lyrics. This genre started in the 1970s but seems to be an ongoing genre of metal, unlike Nu metal. Bands that are part of Christian metal would be Skillet, Seventh Angel, Demon Hunter, and Living Sacrifice.

Kawaii Metal: Kawaii metal is a combination of metal, usually heavy metal, and J-Pop, and was created in Japan. This type of metal began in the early 2010s and continues to be an active genre. A few bands that are classified as Kawaii metal are Babymetal, Deadlift Lolita, Passcode, and Band-Maid.

Industrial Metal: Industrial metal is a genre that started in the 1980s, and uses a combination of industrial music and heavy metal. This genre creates its music by using distorted vocals, guitar riffs being repeated and a synthesizer. Some bands that are a part of this genre are Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM, Motionless in White and 3 Teeth.

Symphonic Metal: Symphonic metal combines heavy metal and the elements of classical music. This genre started in the 1990s and bands continue to perform this genre of metal. Some bands that perform Symphonic metal are Northern Kings, Nightwish, Ancient Bards, Symphony X and Imperial Age.

Now you know new genres of metal, as you can see, it’s not all about causing destruction, Satan, and doing or causing disturbing things due to this genre. I hope this article helps widen your understanding of the metal umbrella. Who knows, maybe reading this could make someone gain an interest in metal and become a metalhead.

Astara is a sophomore at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing. She loves to collect items of her favorite Sanrio character named Cinnamoroll. Her hobbies are creating new outfits, collecting trinkets and figures and playing video games on her Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Dsi. You can find her either in her room decorating her space or on the third floor of her building with her best friend watching The Nanny while doing work.