Career > Her20s

Fun things to do on Halloween when you don’t want to go out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s spooky season! Whether you don’t want to go out due to COVID, none of the plans excite you, or you just plain want to stay home in fuzzy clothes and eat to your heart’s content, there’s still a lot you can do in the comfort of your own home! Here’s a list of fun at-home activities that you can do for the upcoming scary holiday: 

1. Bake some sweets!

Baking is a great way to spend time! Being able to stay home and have your home smell like baked goods is always the best. Some specialties can be pumpkin pie, apple crisp, or sugar cookies with spooky icing! 

1. Watch some scary movies!

This shouldn’t be a surprise, especially since the new Michael Myers movie Halloween Kills (2021) just came out on Peacock! Some other film recommendations would be, Candyman (2021), Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)(my personal favorite), La Llorona (2019), Us (2019), The Nun (2018), and Leatherface (2017). 

1. Read some horror books!

My favorite thing to do is curl up near the fire and read horror stories. Whether it’s online or an actual book, anything to get you spooked and scared to read the next page. Stephen King is always a good call, as well as stories such as The Outsider, It, and Misery are all really good books to get you sitting on the edge of your seat!

1. Have a spooky spa day!

Every time near the holidays, there are a bunch of self-care products that have a Halloween theme. My personal favorite is The Ordinary’s AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution. It’s a great mask that can take away a lot of underlying dirt and leave the skin feeling refreshed and clean. The biggest plus is that when you put it on, it looks like it’s blood! 

1. Scary nails!

Spooky nails have always been cool, but this year they are taking a real rise in popularity! Many of them can be done at home, so one can go out and buy the tools to customize our nails from the comfort of their bed. A huge Halloween favorite this year are the Scream face nails, and you can find a lot of DIY tutorials for this look and others on YouTube

Five fun things to do at home when you don’t want to go out, perfect for a cozy Halloween day.  Remember to stay safe, maintain social distancing, and have fun! Happy spooky season! 

Hello there! I am Yalines Medrano and I am a Forensic Science major at Lasell University with the class of 2024. I am from Peabody, Massachusetts and I love to read, watch anime, and hang out with friends! I am so excited to be involved in HER Campus!