The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I will be the first to admit that I am late to the Minecraft hype. I first received my Nintendo Switch Lite in November of 2021, and the only game I had on it at first was Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Marshall will forever and ever be my favorite villager) As the years have gone out, I have branched and expanded my gamer girl era to Stardew Valley, Fortnite, and now finally: Minecraft.  It has quickly become an obsession…for two weeks then I have to take a mental break for my sanity. Even so, here are my top five reasons why Minecraft is my current comfort game. 

1. It builds creativity

I’m not going to lie, I am not the most creative person in the world. Main reason why I am a STEM major and not an art major. However, I do love crafts. Sure my crafts may not be the prettiest, but I love the feeling of finishing something I put a lot of work into and showing it off. Minecraft lets you go crazy with creativity. At first, it’s a bit tough, you have legit nothing except a map. You have to start from scratch. But once you get the hang of it (or you’re like me and wimp out and switch to creative mode and copy what you did there on your survival mode) it’s so easy to do and you feel the sense of accomplishment. 

1. Works on your mind muscles

It gives a mental workout. Don’t believe me? Get Minecraft and start a survival mode world. You are going to see very quickly that strategy matters. You need to make sure you mine the correct materials, get the right wood, and make sure you don’t spend too many of your emeralds. It’s a mental workout. So that’s why it’s really common for people to grind for two weeks and then take a month-long break. 

1. Craftsman skills

To be honest, I always knew what kind of house I wanted (not to mention if I will be able to afford it with this gosh darn housing market these days). However, playing Minecraft really gives you the chance to work out which material you may want to try in your real-life home when you’re ready. Sure it’s digital blocks, and sure it’s not real, but it’s nice to have your own home even if it’s in a video game. 

1. Friendships acquired

I didn’t know this until I started playing, but a lot of my friends play Minecraft already. So bringing that topic into a conversation now best believe we can sit there for hours talking about our worlds. Also, playing with your significant other can give you a chance to bond and try a different activity together. Building your world together while being in the same room or on FaceTime is the best thing because it lets you be creative with your favorite person <3. 

1. It’s fun for all ages

It’s a game that doesn’t have an age range. Anyone of any age can play! Do I think five-year-olds should be playing on survival and dealing with Endermen? Heck no. I know I can’t. But I wish I had this game earlier in my life so I could express my creativity. Since it’s a great game to play alone or with someone.

Hello there! I am Yalines Medrano and I am a Forensic Science major at Lasell University with the class of 2024. I am from Peabody, Massachusetts and I love to read, watch anime, and hang out with friends! I am so excited to be involved in HER Campus!