corporate cute?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
corporate cute?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
20th Century Studios
Style > Fashion

Five Influential Women in the Fashion Industry

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

It’s Women’s History Month, so what better time to recognize and celebrate the hard work of women in the fashion industry? There are several more than could be on this list, but the five women below have deeply contributed their creativity to changing and growing the fashion industry for the better, revolutionizing the way we dress. These women have set out to correlate fashion with self-expression and individuality and even break boundaries between traditional men’s and womenswear. Keep reading to discover how these women have influenced the fashion industry today:

Anna Wintour is the Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue, which has millions of readers through its print and digital editions. She is also the Chief Content Officer and Global Editorial Director of Condé Nast and oversees the creative direction of other magazines as well. Wintour has raised millions of dollars for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute and headed the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund to help new designers start their brands. Throughout her career, she has shaped Vogue Magazine into what it is today and has worked her way up to becoming one of the most influential players in the industry. 

Vivienne Westwood was a British designer who died in 2022, known for bringing punk into the mainstream fashion scene. In the 1980s her brand emerged, and many of her products were linked to various social causes, such as climate change, civil rights, and freedom of speech. She designed sustainable uniforms for Virgin Atlantic with Richard Branson and created a manifesto called Active Resistance to Propaganda, about art concerning the human predicament and climate change. She has won the British Designer of the Year Award on three separate occasions and has made major strides in our environmental awareness and consumerism in the industry. 

Diana Vreeland was a French American editor who worked for Harper’s Bazaar and later as Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue. She photographed and wrote for Harper’s Bazaar during WWII and kept the fashion industry relevant during this time, discovering new talent and setting trends. She was Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue from 1963-1971 and the magazine began to reflect her taste for the breaking of traditional standards and featured more bizarre, youthful, and eccentric content. She later worked with the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and has received multiple honors and awards. She remains relevant today even after her passing in 1989. 

Coco Chanel, also known as Gabrielle Bonheur, created her Parisian brand Chanel which is still highly popular today. The CC symbol can be found on her products dating back to the 1920s, which signifies the quality of the Chanel brand. Chanel no.5 was created in 1921 and remains one of the most relevant perfumes today. One could even argue that Coco Chanel originated the timeless “little black dress” phenomenon. Born into poverty, Chanel knew how to combine casual and elegant clothing in her designs. She believed that luxury needed to be comfortable, and revolutionized this idea, removing the restrictions of petticoats and corsets. Her brand has ruled couture for several decades and remains extremely influential even after her passing in 1971.

Miuccia Prada is the CEO of Prada and Creative Director of Miu Miu. She took over the business when her grandfather died in 1978 and began designing her handbags in 1985. Her first collection consisted of bags made from woven nylon, which were an immediate success. In 2019, Prada launched a Re-Nylon collection with featured handbags for both men and women, made from recycled nylon. Thanks to Miuccia Prada, the Prada empire is known as one of the most innovative and influential fashion houses in the world. 

Alexis Grant

Lasell '23

A Junior at Lasell University, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!