Finding the Music That Fits Your Mood: Playlists and Song Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Sometimes we’re in the mood for a certain type of music, but we just don’t know what we want. Do you ever get the feeling that you want one specific song but you just don’t know which song it is? Many songs are tied to our feelings and emotions, and sometimes even the weather. So let’s look deeper into some of the music you may need depending on how you are feeling. 

Upbeat and Positive

Have you ever gotten bouts of random energy, or are just inexplicably happy? Here are three songs for when you just want to let it all out and dance, whether it be in your room or out and about. This music will never fail to fit that mood: 

Wait a Minute!” by WILLOW

Uma Thurman” by Fall Out Boy

Edge of Glory” – Lady Gaga

Chill and Relaxed

The weather, or just life, can also have an effect on our music taste. Have you ever been walking in the rain to class with your earbuds in, but the music you’re listening to just isn’t fitting the vibe? If you’re looking for some new, chill songs to add to your playlist on a drizzly, dreary day, here are a few, from me to you: 

Stick Season” by Noah Kahan

Something in the Orange” by Zach Bryan

Astronomy” by Conan Gray

Alive and Free

We all have those moments where we feel extra alive and free. Do you have a hippy side that likes to randomly come out to play? If you know what I mean, then here are some great Indie songs to add some spark to your day: 

Magdalene” by the 502s

Cleopatra” by The Lumineers

Love You For A Long Time” by Maggie Rogers

2010s Throwback Songs

Along the lines of feeling more alive, we all need a throwback to the early 2010s once in a while. These artists can make your energy rise while bringing you back in time. Here are my top three from that era that just hit a special string in all our hearts: 

We Are Young” by fun. ft. Janelle Monae 

Without You” by David Guetta ft. Usher

We Found Love” by Rihanna and Calvin Harris 

Music is something everyone finds themselves listening to in their daily lives, so why not listen to some tunes that fit your vibe? Start by making a playlist for what you are feeling right now. Happy, sad, energetic, in love? Listen to a song you haven’t heard of before, maybe it will become your new favorite hit.

Hello! My name is Olivia Prisco and I am a Psychology Major at Lasell University in the class of 2026. I am from Cape Cod, Massachusetts and I enjoy writing, playing tennis, and watching comedies. I am excited to be a part of the HER Campus community.