Style > Fashion

Fashion Staple Items to Elevate Your 2022 Thanksgiving Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This Thanksgiving we are leaning back to some chic and chill styles for our Thanksgiving dinners. You may be curious to see how you can experiment with some pieces by just using just one (or multiple) garments from this selection. 

1. A black bodycon Dress

You can never go wrong with a classic black dress. Whether it’s short, mid-length, or long, there are endless outfits that can be put together. Especially using it as a base and layering it with funky pattern blouses, soft sweaters, long wool coats, or even mini leather jackets and cropped puffers. 

1. Gold waist chains

Now I said gold, but any metallic hardware looks good. Especially in a dark color dress or body-hugging outfit. It gives a sense of luxury to an outfit, even if it’s a $12 chain. I mean have you seen Fran from The Nanny in her iconic all-black outfit with a gold chain

1. A light neutral-colored coat 

Adding any bit of light neutrals hits an outfit like nectar to a bee. It just does, I don’t make up the rules. An all-black outfit turns into gold when a pop of color is introduced. 

1. Black sheer tights 

Black tights add an accessory to any outfit with leg exposure. From skirts and dresses to shorts and rompers, you can add sheer tights to elevate an outfit. I personally love sheer black tights on black bodycon dresses for the cold seasons. It also reminds me of outfits used in 90s sitcoms for some reason. 

1. Sweater vests

Adding this can keep you warm and cool down the aesthetic. On top of a bodysuit, a blouse, a white button-up, or a dress, the possibilities are endless. You can even get larger variations like a long sweater vest dress or long vest. 

1. Pearl accessories

Whether it’s a pearl headband, embroidered on a blouse, or a pair of teardrop pearl earrings, it gives a sense of elegance to a look.

1. Varsity jacket

Varsity jackets please the eye of creativity. Lately, I have been seeing brands like Kith and Aime Leon Dore use neutral-colored varsity jackets in their campaigns and it really does something to a plain outfit. 

I hope you get to choose or even use your own garments that are from the list above for your outfits this year. I would like to shout out to Her Campus member Julia for giving me the inspiration to write this piece! As an icon for outfits and makeup looks, her creativity in fashion is top-tier! Therefore I hope anyone who is selecting their Thanksgiving outfit this year feels as iconic as Julia this autumn.

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.