This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When it comes to skincare, everyday eating and consumption plays a significant role in the appearance and health of your skin. Certain foods are great for your health, also making them an important factor when it comes to your skin, and specifically, when it comes to acne. Although some people’s great skin can be a genetic factor, this list can be a lending hand for those wanting to boost their skin through the foods they eat. Here’s my go-to eating habits to help with my skin from the inside-out. 

1. Citrus

Fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, and blood oranges contain antioxidants that are great for the body and your acne. Not only do these fruits contain water, but they carry a load of vitamins like vitamin c. The next time you see a skincare product with the words vitamin c on their label, maybe consider adding it into your routine. 

1. Green Tea

I don’t know what’s in these teas, but I feel like I drink a bottle’s worth of moisturizer everytime I drink green tea. Drinking green tea helps to keep both you and your skin ultra-hydrated. 

1. Salmon

Fish is a fan-favorite for both me and my skin. As seafood tends to be cooked with less dairy products, it helps the body retain the Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids balance the body’s hydration and minimize acne.

1. Avocado

Going back to the sources of vitamins, avocados contain lots of vitamin e. Like the vitamin c in citrus fruits, vitamin e is an important antioxidant that helps protect your skin from oxidative damage.

1. Non-dairy foods

As you may have noticed, all of the aforementioned foods are non-dairy. In my personal experience, a heavy load of milk consumption has played a large part in my acne production. Yet when I lessened it, I saw improvement in my skin. I’m not saying get rid of it completely (because chocolate is too good) but a good balance can definitely help.

Bottom Line

A healthy lifestyle and good nutrition can not only help your skin but also your health and energy in the long run. As much care as we put on products onto the outside of the skin, there can be an additional benefit to using food as a product for the inside skin.

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.