Dr. Grey and Dr. Karev’s Friendship Develops in Season 13 Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

!!POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!!

It’s been a long time coming. Grey’s Anatomy is in it’s 13th, and final, season. At the beginning of every season (episode), we think to ourselves, who is Shonda going to kill off this season?

Thankfully, nobody…yet.

Season 12 ended with Dr. Karev punching Dr. DeLuca for what Karev assumed was DeLuca taking advantage of Dr. Wilson. And while, yes, DeLuca being hospitalized after Karev’s attack was the big event in this season opener, it wasn’t what intrigued us.

What intrigued us was the relationship between Karev and Dr. Grey.

If you’ve been watching the show from the start (or if you binged it on Netflix like some of us) you have seen the development of Karev and Grey as individual characters and as friends. They’ve been through so much. Karev was a jerk in the beginning, but as his character matured, Grey started giving him a chance and believing in him when nobody else would. She would always give him the benefit of the doubt.

That was no different in Season 13, Episode 1. When Grey showed up at Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, she went straight to Karev to find out what was going on. As always, Karev confided in Grey and she took his side before knowing the whole story. She believed him and trusted him. The last two remaining original interns stick together and try to find a way to save Karev’s career.

After Wilson confides in Dr. Edwards and Edwards fills Grey in on what actually happened, Grey goes to Karev. She says that while she loves him, and truly wished that Karev’s side of the story was the truth (not that Karev was lying, he just didn’t understand the full story) she wanted to defend him, and Karev needed to turn himself in or Grey would do it for him.

Karev isn’t the rude intern he once was, and he loves and respects Grey too much to let her career take heat for something he did. So he turns himself into the police (thankfully, and let’s be honest, we all knew he was going to) and was carted off to jail. Meanwhile, Grey goes to Chief Bailey and speaks up about Karev.

The whole episode, Grey is torn between her loyalty to Karev and her loyalty to her sister Dr. Pierce. The bond between Karev and Grey is so strong, and Pierce feels betrayed that Grey chose Karev over her own sister. But the relationship between the two characters has grown so much in the past 12 seasons, and Dr. Grey isn’t someone who can just give up on a person who has always been there for her.

So as Grey goes to visit Karev in jail, we can see their relationship growing even more.

We are excited to see where season 13 takes us, and how Shonda Rhimes develops the relationship between Grey and Karev in this final season.

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.