legally blonde icky valentines day?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
legally blonde icky valentines day?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MGM
Wellness

Don’t Be the Grinch that Stole Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Ah, Valentine’s Day…the holiday meant to show love to those closest to us. But, some people forget this and that it’s not only about couples who wine and dine to celebrate. Showing love to your friends, family, and most importantly yourself should be prioritized on this day just as much. It is definitely not worth harping over the fact that one is single or not in a romantic “situationship”. It should also not be a time to negatively react to couples on social media or make oneself feel bad because they’re not celebrating in a fun or romantic way.

RuPaul said it best, “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?” So even if you don’t have a special someone to spend Valentine’s Day with, it is guaranteed that showing yourself love on this day will be just as rewarding. There are ways to practice self-love that can encourage someone to focus on themselves versus focusing on others. A couple of ways I would practice self-love that can be for Valentine’s Day include:

1. Hosting a Galentine’s Day

Sharing the love with my besties reminds me that I am loved by so many (platonically, of course) that I still feel appreciated and enjoy my time.

1. Buying myself gifts

Shopping is the best form of therapy for me, so spoiling myself with gifts that I know I will like, is one of the best methods of loving myself.

1. Pampering

Pampering myself can involve so many things such as doing a facemask, getting my nails done or doing them myself, eating my favorite foods and sweets, watching my favorite movies/shows, and cozying up with a book.

This goes to say that you don’t have to be in a relationship to enjoy this special holiday. Loving who you are and appreciating those in your life who already love you is still worth celebrating. So don’t be the grinch that stole Valentine’s Day; it is a day that is meant to spread love for everyone!

Hi! My name is Celeste and I am currently a senior, majoring in Health Science at Lasell University. On campus, I am involved in a variety of clubs such as HerCampus, the Student Government Association as the VP of Academics, the Campus Activities Board, and the Knitting Club. Also, I intern at a health center as a patient resource advocate and I work at the IT Help Desk on my campus. In my spare time, my favorite things to do are read, watch videos or movies, and sit and chat with my friends!