Diary of a Research Assistant: Week 8

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As you’ll notice, there was no article last week (sad, I know), but this due to the fact that Professor was at a conference, which meant there was two weeks between our last meeting and this week’s. It also means I had twice the normal amount of time to do (what turned out to be) about half the work. 

My initial assignment was to finish one more transcript and start moving around some of the files clogging up our folders, as we had doubles and even triples of some of the documents, which I knew I couldn’t just delete. I learned that you just don’t do that in research, as you never know when you might need something hidden in one of those files. That being said, the actual process took about half an hour, so I reached out to Professor and she graciously offered for me to finish cleaning the first team meeting transcript, which was a doozy.

In addition to the myriad of extraneous people and places mentioned, all the people besides Professor, the principal, and the one male teacher in the room, were labeled “female teacher” in the transcript. Professor admitted to she forgot to ask everyone to introduce themselves, and as I had no way of distinguishing their voices since I’d never even met them, she told me to code whatever I could and she would deal with the rest. 

Once that interview is totally finished, all of our data (or at least our transcripts) will be cleaned and ready to be uploaded to our coding software, which means we’re one step closer to actually analyzing the date and presenting early findings. However, that is also my naive mind at work again, and I’m sure there are at least half a dozen steps in between now and then.