Wellness > Mental Health

Destressing Tips To Incorporate Into Daily Routine From an Aspiring Therapist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This week has been full of stress, and most likely not a lot of sleep, for a lot of us. The election has brought out a lot of anxiety for a lot of us. Here are some of my favorite ways and tips and tricks to destress. 

1. Headspace

Headspace has become one of my favorite apps over the past couple of weeks. For those of you who don’t know, headspace is a meditation app. One of my favorite things about headspace is that they have a lot of short options, my favorite is the falling back to sleep one! In addition, they even have a new free app that is called “politics without panic”. This app is available until November 16th, so definitely take advantage of it now.

2. Putting devices down

Before so much was available at our fingertips, but now for a lot of us, our classes are too. Set a time every day to put your devices down, and allow your self to unplug. Honestly, it will feel weird at first, so set a small goal for yourself. For example fifteen minutes every morning, and then increase it or change it as you see to fit yourself.

3. Gratitude journal

With all the stress and anxiety of the pandemic, it is really key to be able to stop and see what you do have and what you are grateful for. Stop for a second, and remind yourself how much you do have. You can use an old notebook, and write down three things you’re grateful for. Spending this time will also set yourself in a good mindset for the day, or night. 

4. To-do list

Feeling stressed? Make yourself a to-do list. There’s no worse feeling than feeling stressed, and not knowing where to start. Make yourself a to-do list. Put the most important things to get done at the top, and the least at the bottom. Then start each day with what you did not get done at the top.

5. Move big muscle groups 

A therapist once told me that the best thing you can do for anxiety is to move big muscle groups. This does not have to be anything elaborate, but take a brisk walk when feeling stressed, or go run a flight of stairs. 

6. Read something inspiring

Reading is awesome because it gives your brain a task to do. One of my personal favorites is reading humans of new york!

Rose Keane

Lasell '23

Rose is a sophomore psychology student at Lasell University. Outside from school, she can be found at the mall shopping, hiking, working, or spending time with her animals.