The Death of a Trailblazer: A Light That Will Remain Ignited

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Sheila Abdus-Salaam’s deceased body was found in the New York Hudson River on Wednesday, April 12. Investigations are currently taking place as the case is being potentially ruled as a suicide. One of the possible contributing factors in Salaam’s death is her struggle with severe depression. Unfortunately, she had been fighting the illness since her brother committed suicide three years ago. However, further investigation is unfolding as the death of this remarkable women cannot go without justice.

Abdus-Salaam was New York’s first African-American female judge in the state’s highest court since 2013. The 65-year-old was a pioneer for minorities, as she was also referred to as the first African-American judge in the court of appeals. Salaam was the great-granddaughter of a slave, and her upbringing taught her the values and discrimination as a black woman. However, she was able to use her experience to establish a career that would help other minorities.

The judge studied and graduated from Columbia Law. She then went on to assisting families of low socioeconomic status in Brooklyn as a public defender. Later Salaam served as New York State’s assistant attorney. As assistant attorney, she was known for winning an anti-discrimination suit for 30 female city bus drivers who were not properly recognized and had not received promotions due to their race. Her past employment had given her the tools to become a fair and effective judge who would be able to fight for justice for New Yorkers. Due to her impressive and inspiring trajectory, she was known among elite government officials and professionals as a “trailblazer.”

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.