Cubs Fly the ‘W’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On November 2, 2016, baseball fans around the country cried. Some cried tears of joy and others cried tears of disappointment. The Chicago Cubs had made history. After a 108-year drought, the Cubs won the World Series. They flew the ‘W.’

The Cubs winning the World Series means more than just a team winning a baseball game. It means joy. A video surfaced of an 81-year-old Cubs fan cheering with joy as the Cubs made the final out in the 10-inning game on Wednesday, getting to see his team win the championship for the first time in his life. A lifetime of disappointment led to a 2016 season of greatness. The warmth the win brings to people’s hearts is undeniable. Another video spread around social media of a man cracking open a beer he had put in his fridge 32 years ago, saying he waited until the Cubs won to drink it.

The win was a moment of happiness. With the Cubs down in the series 3-1, they rallied together and made an historic comeback to top the Cleveland Indians in the 10th inning. The rain delay between the 9th and 10th was a break the Cubs desperately needed.

The ‘W’ means more than a win. It means family, unity, trust and commitment. It doesn’t just mean the Cubs won, it means the Cubs, their fans and Chicago won.

Being from Boston, how could we not root for the team who has had the longest drought in baseball history? The Red Sox broke the curse in 2004 and we wanted to see the Cubs break their curse as well. Similar to the Red Sox’s 2004 World Series win, the Cubs gave their city something to smile about, something to laugh about, and something to look forward to in the future.

The drought is over. They flew the ‘W.’

Angela is a senior communication major with a concentration in public relations, and is double minoring in legal studies and sports communication. She studied in Washington, D.C. during the Spring 2016 semester. Angela has interned with McGovern Law and the Washington Ballet. She once was in the same press conference as President Obama. When not in class, she can be found in the Brennan Library studying, in the one of the gyms on campus or taking a nap. Angela is a sports lover, buffalo chicken enthusiast, and future master sommelier.