Cristina Reads Too Much: The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Getting around to reading a book (other than a textbook) can be tough in college, we know this.  When you’re cramming in between classes, Her Campus Lasell’s got you covered.  

Introducing Cristina Reads Too Much, a weekly segment where we break down and spill the tea about the best books RN and give our honest reviews and ratings.

The Rundown:

Jasmine Guillory’s debut novel tells of the drama and hilarity that ensues after two young professionals meet by chance one fateful day in a hotel elevator. Drew Nichols is a junior pediatrician desperately looking for a plus-one to his friend’s wedding after his date bails on him, and Alexa Monroe is a low-level politician who thinks she’s too busy for love.  Alexa befriends Drew and agrees to play the role of adoring girlfriend at the wedding. Though they tell themselves they’re merely actors at the wedding, it doesn’t take long for Alexa and Drew to develop romantic feelings for each other, despite all of the factors that might otherwise keep them apart–Alexa is Black and Drew is White, Alexa lives in Berkeley, California and Drew lives in Los Angeles, Alexa is a relationship person and Drew is a bit of a phobia when it comes to commitment.  What was originally meant to be a one-time arrangement quickly escalates into weekly flights between Los Angeles and Berkeley, numerous steamy sex sessions, and introducing each other to their friends and city. Through it all, however, neither Alexa nor Drew can work up the courage to have the “defining the relationship” talk with the other, which ultimately puts a strain on their budding romance. Through deep reflection and advice from friends, both Alexa and Drew realize that they have to be brave and confess their feelings to the other.

My Thoughts:

Delightful, entertaining, and evocative, The Wedding Date strikes a good balance between profundity and fluff.  I admire Guillory’s ability to touch upon racism in the story (given one of the protagonists is a Black woman) without becoming at all preachy.  The Wedding Date is a sweet story sure to give you unrealistic relationship expectations that will also make you think.  There were times where I felt that the descriptions fell a little flat–some scenes were a little hard to really visualize–and I wish that there was a bit more dialogue to move the story along, but it was truly an enjoyable read.  If you appreciate a good romance, or are simply looking for a solid read that isn’t overly serious, The Wedding Date is the novel for you.  

My rating:

Favorite Quote:

“In the past year, they’d had their ups and downs.  They’d learned how to deal with two busy careers and a relationship, too; what the other person was like on an early Monday morning and a stressful Thursday night instead of just their idyllic weekends; that she never made the bed; that Drew always left the lights on.”  

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.