Cristina Reads Too Much: Stay Sexy and Don’t Get Murdered by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Getting around to reading a book (other than a textbook) can be tough in college, we know this.  When you’re cramming in between classes, Her Campus Lasell’s got you covered.  

Introducing Cristina Reads Too Much, a weekly segment where we break down and spill the tea about the best books RN and give our honest reviews and ratings. 

The Rundown:

“Stay Sexy and Don’t Get Murdered” is the joint memoir/self-help book written by the women behind the popular comedic true-crime podcast My Favorite Murder.  Within the pages of their book, Karen and Georgia delve into their childhoods, personal stories, lessons they’ve learned over the years, and advice that they want to pass on to other women.  In the first section of the book, crassly titled “F**k Politeness”, Karen and Georgia tackle the standard of “politeness” that society places on women and how sometimes that expectation leads women to force themselves to stay in positions where they don’t feel comfortable.  In “Sweet Baby Angel”, they discuss the loss of innocence and reflect upon their own childhood and adolescent experiences. The third section has the hilarious title “You’re in a Cult, Call Your Dad”, wherein Karen and Georgia talk about their families and the importance of having good relationships and communication with your parents and siblings.  In section four, “Send ‘Em Back”, they bring up their childhoods once again, talking about growing up in the 80s and 90s and the story of how they met. In “Don’t be a F**king Lunatic”, Karen and Georgia get brutally honest about going to therapy and finding a path in life. “Get a Job” delves into, as the name implies, obtaining and keeping a job (extra relevant for us college girls).  Karen and Georgia build upon this idea in section 7, “Buy Your Own Sh*t” which is about financial independence and how empowering it is for women to be self-sufficient. Karen and Georgia close out with “Stay Out of the Forest”, where they talk specifically about the origins of their now wildly popular podcast and the community of women they have accidentally fostered from it.

My thoughts:

Authentic, funny, and surprisingly rather inspiring, Stay Sexy and Don’t Get Murdered is a great read for all women.  Karen and Georgia are refreshingly honest about their experiences being a woman and how they found success, and it was almost reassuring to read about the time it took for them to get where they are now.  This book is genuinely hilarious and crass (if swearing bothers you, you probably shouldn’t read this book or listen to the podcast), and as a fan of the My Favorite Murder podcast, I loved it. 

My rating:

Favorite Quote:

“We barely get any time on this planet. Do not spend it pleasing other people. Fuck politeness. Live life exactly how you want to live it so you can love the life you make for yourself.”

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.