Cristina Reads Too Much: Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Getting around to reading a book (other than a textbook) can be tough in college, we know this.  When you’re cramming in between classes, Her Campus Lasell’s got you covered.  

Introducing Cristina Reads Too Much, a weekly segment where we break down and spill the tea about the best books RN and give our honest reviews and ratings. 

The Rundown:

Told in the style of a celebrity tell-all, Daisy Jones & The Six is the story of the rise and fall of a fictional 1970s rock band.  The daughter of successful yet inattentive parents, frontwoman Daisy Jones enters the world of “sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll” as a teenager in the late 1960s.  She sneaks into clubs, sleeps with up-and-coming musicians, and occasionally performs. A naturally gifted singer and songwriter, it doesn’t take long for Daisy’s talent to be recognized.  At age 20, Daisy is picked up by a record label and produces a few hit singles, but she quickly becomes frustrated by her label’s attempt to mold her to fit their vision of a female rock star and their unwillingness to allow her to record the songs she wrote.  Meanwhile, aspiring singer Billy Dunne and his guitarist brother, Graham, are starting a band. They recruit drummer Warren Rhodes, guitarist brothers Eddie and Pete Loving, and keyboardist Karen Sirko, and together they become The Six. In an effort to boost their popularity, The Six’s band manager Teddy Price arranges for them to record a track featuring Daisy and has her open for them on their first tour.  Eventually, The Six realize that Daisy is the reason that they are rising to the top and induct her into the band, making them Daisy Jones & The Six. As the group continues to surge in popularity, they realize that fame isn’t always glamorous. Daisy and Billy routinely butt heads over songwriting and the band’s overall image, Graham and Karen begin hooking up which results in pregnancy, and Pete decides he wants to leave the band and lead a normal life.  The emotional rollercoaster the band members find themselves on is reflected in their music and performance, which only makes them more popular. Their breakup is sudden and unexpected, but the legacy the band leaves behind is lasting.

My Thoughts:

Fun, engaging, and thought-provoking, Daisy Jones & The Six provides a nuanced look at both the music scene in the 1970s and second-wave feminism.  I loved the way that Daisy was so in control of her own sexuality and didn’t feel pressured to conform. Though the band is fictional, Jenkins Reid portrays them the way I’d imagine members of a popular group to be–fundamentally different in both their talents and ideas, but all working together towards a common goal.  The interview-style format makes Daisy Jones & The Six a quick read despite being nearly 400 pages long. If you’re a classic rock fan, a feminist history aficionado, or are looking for a read that wholly unique and original, you’ll love Daisy Jones & The Six.

My Rating:

Favorite Quote:

“I’d chased this life with all of my heart.  I wanted so badly to express myself and be heard and bring solace to other people with my own words.  But it became a hell I’d created myself, a cage I’d built and locked myself in. I came to hate that I’d put my heart and my pain into my music because it meant that I couldn’t ever leave it behind”.  

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.