Cristina Reads Too Much: Book Series to Binge While You’re Stuck at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The current state of things has led many people to seek out entertainment to keep them from losing their minds while they’re stuck at home.  For some people, this is going to mean rereading their favorite book or rewatching The Office for the hundredth time, but I think that this time of social distancing presents a unique opportunity to seek out new favorites. Before you reread the Harry Potter series for the 12th time, consider picking up (and binging) these series:

The Alex and Eliza Trilogy by Melissa de la Cruz

Genre: historical fiction/romance

What it’s about: Based on the true story of historical power couple Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler, this NYT-bestselling series follows Alex and Eliza as twenty-somethings, from when they met by chance one fateful night at a ball up through the first five years of their marriage as they fall in love, undergo some serious growth as individuals and as a couple, figure out what it takes to make a marriage work, and find their place in a new nation. 

Why I love it: It’s utterly immersive, witty, and surprisingly relatable.  Though Alex and Eliza were young adults over 200 years ago, they also struggle with “adulting”, which is dealt with in a tasteful (not condescending!) way.  De la Cruz excels at bringing Alex and Eliza to life and I love the dynamic between them–I was often left in tears laughing at their flirtatious banter and witty one-liners.  I haven’t read many books depicting long-term relationships, so I enjoyed seeing how Alex and Eliza’s marriage evolved and changed throughout the series. There are interesting historical tidbits sprinkled throughout, as well as cameos from well-known (and some lesser-known) historical figures of the era, but it never turns into a long-winded history lesson.

The Stalking Jack the Ripper Series by Kerri Maniscalco

Genre: historical fiction/thriller

What it’s about: Set in Victorian Era England, this series follows Audrey Rose Wadsworth, a 17-year-old girl who throws herself into the new (at the time) field of forensic science.  Apprenticed under her uncle, a medical examiner, Audrey Rose finds herself thrust into the investigation of the notorious, anonymous serial killer Jack the Ripper. When she meets her uncle’s young protege Thomas Cresswell, Audrey Rose’s life (and feelings) are set on a collision course. Between attempting to uncover the identity of Jack the Ripper, causing trouble at a prestigious school for forensics, witnessing gruesome murders on a luxury cruise liner, or discovering unsettling secrets at the World’s Fair, Audrey Rose and Thomas are never far from a mystery–or romance.

Why I love it: It has girl power, romance, and a true crime aspect.  Audrey Rose is such a strong character, and she’s unique without having a case of “I’m not like other girls”.  The books boast an interesting combination of true crime and supernatural elements, including an interesting look into the history of forensic science and crime scene investigation (but like Alex and Eliza, it never turns into a long-winded history lesson).  Beyond that, though, Maniscalco crafts a swoon-worthy yet realistic romance between Audrey Rose and her ever-vexing partner Thomas, which adds an interesting layer to some otherwise pretty morbid stories. There are some interesting side characters in the series, too, including Thomas’s mysterious sister Daci and Audrey Rose’s eccentric medical examiner uncle Johnathan.

The Bayview High Duology by Karen M. McManus

Genre: Mystery/thriller

What it’s about: McManus’s best-selling teen thriller duology is basically Pretty Little Liars meets The Breakfast Club.  The drama starts when five Bayview High seniors are sent to detention: Bronwyn the teacher’s pet, Cooper the star athlete, Addy the beauty queen, Nate the troublemaker, and Simon the outcast.  Simon inexplicably dies during detention, which exposes a web of gossip and toxicity surrounding Bayview High. Even after everyone has seemed to move on, danger still lurks at the school.

Why I love it: I really love the creative way in which McManus takes high school stereotypes (the teacher’s pet, the beauty queen, etc.) and turns them on their heads to create a thrilling, dramatic story.  Both books have unreliable narrators, so even though everyone tries to vouch for their innocence, you’ll be left guessing as to who is guilty. The situations depicted in the Bayview High duology are obviously a little extreme, but it also boasts everything that people love about high-school dramas: betrayals, breakups, reputation-ruining secrets.  Plus, at just two books, the Bayview High duology is a great pick if you’re not ready to commit to a long series, or can’t stay engaged with a story for 10 books.

The An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir

Genre: fantasy

What it’s about: Set in a society loosely based on ancient Rome, this fantasy series tells of the intertwining narratives of Laia, a young woman who is forced into slavery because her people are oppressed, and Elias, a soldier who seceretly hates the empire he is supposed to be fighting for.  When Laia’s beloved older brother Darin is arrested for treason, she looks to her dead parents’ former comrades in the resistance for help. They agree, under one condition: that Laia spy on the Empire. She soon crosses paths with an unsatisfied Elias, and drama, violence, and forbidden romance ensues.

Why I love it: It’s a multi-layered story with drama, secrets, and romance.  I love that the books are told from both Elias and Laia’s perspectives, and how the engaging short chapters allow us to see all sides of the story.  The An Ember in the Ashes series boasts a great set of strong characters, as well as lots of great character development along with the action. It’s the perfect chunky fantasy series to escape into when the whole world feels like a dumpster fire as it does right now. 

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.