Conspiracy Theories Behind Aaron Hernandez’s Suicide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On April 19, Aaron Hernandez, former tight end for the Patriots, was declared deceased. Hernandez was found hanging inside of his cell with bed sheets, later ruled to be the scene of a suicide. Reports have recently released evidence that Hernandez had written a Bible verse on his forehead and left three suicide notes: one for his fiancee, one for his daughter, and one for his alleged prison lover. The Bible verse was John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

One conspiracy theory for Hernandez’s motives is his committing suicide to establish a financially-stable life for his 4-year-old daughter. Since Hernandez was not acquitted for the murder of Lloyd, he lost money to his name. Therefore, a potential reason behind his suicide was to save the remainder of his wealth for his daughter. There is also a correlation between the verse and his actions: “…he gave his one and only Son…” Could the son referred to be his one and only daughter?

An additional conspiracy theory that has surfaced is his committing suicide due to guilt. Five days prior to his death, Hernandez was acquitted for the deaths of two men. Could it be that he did in fact kill these two men outside of a Boston nightclub in 2012? If so, Hernandez could have been experiencing guilt for his horrific actions for killing several people. Another source of remorse for Hernandez could have been from cheating on his fiancee with a fellow male prisoner, whom sources claim was the last individual that Hernandez spoke to.

Another conspiracy is that Hernandez did not commit suicide, but was killed by an individual from an inside job. Sources are not clear on who the murderer could be, but facts demonstrate that murder was a likely cause of death. Hernandez stood at 6 feet and weighed 245 lbs, making it very difficult and almost impossible for him to hang himself. As mentioned previously, Hernandez was said to have a bible verse written on his forehead. How could he have written something himself on his own forehead if there was no mirror in the cell?

In conclusion, Hernandez did suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts in the past. Hernandez was admitted into prison with a suicide watch. However, once acquitted he was transferred to isolated confinement, giving him the ability to take his life. Therefore, suicide is the most likely cause of death.

Ariana Matos

Northeastern '21

I am a Northeastern commmunication studies student with a minor in fashion global studies. As a writer correspondent the concentration of my writing are personal reflections on life experiences, fashion, media and culture, food and lifestyle. In addition to being a writer I am a leader for Her Campus NU's Snapchat account.