The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This Women’s History Month, I’ve been thinking a lot about women in entertainment. One of the best ways to see powerful women in entertainment is on the big screen. Over the years, many amazing actresses have given both powerful and memorable performances in film. Watching these women execute such dynamic scenes has been such an inspiring thing to me, from when I was younger and still to this day. These are some of my favorite on-screen performances from some extremely talented women!

1. Michelle YeohEverything Everywhere All at Once

Seeing this movie in theaters was genuinely such a cathartic experience for me. For my girls that also have had some not-so-amazing experiences with their mothers in the past, especially in their later adolescent years, I know you know what I mean when I say that. I cannot imagine anyone else playing the role that Michelle Yeoh pulled off so flawlessly. Watching her play a character that transforms from one that is struggling immensely to cope with the nearly broken relationships she has with those closest to her to someone that has opened her eyes to the reality (or realities!) of life was so well done, she was more than deserving of the multitude of awards she has received, including two Screen Actors Guild awards and a Golden Globe.

1. Mia GothX

While most actors and actresses have the tough but sole task of perfecting their roles, it is much rarer for one to have to learn, perfect, and perform more than one role. Mia Goth proves her talent and capability by doing just so in the movie X. Not only does Goth take the role of the main character, Maxine, but she also plays the elderly woman who owns the property on which the main group of young adults is staying, Pearl. The two characters are very similar, and are connected throughout the movie, especially with Goth playing the character Pearl in the prequel to X. The artistic choice of the director for Goth to play both roles was definitely a challenge and one that Mia Goth pulled off perfectly.

1. Florence PughMidsommar 

These past few years have been extremely successful for actress Florence Pugh, with starring roles in highly acclaimed films, such as Don’t Worry Darling and Little Women. However, my first and still favorite introduction to Pugh’s work was in the movie Midsommar. Throughout the film, Pugh’s character Dani deals with one traumatic event after another, which continues to shape who she is as a person and how she values her current relationships. Faced with multiple occurrences of death around her, as well as the gaslighting and abusive behaviors of her current boyfriend, Pugh gives us a tremendously emotional performance through Dani, which is definitely one to remember.

1. Taraji P. HensonHidden Figures

The film Hidden Pictures and the backstory behind the plot of the movie is by itself a very powerful story. Henson’s performance just makes the story even more raw and emotional. Henson, alongside Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monáe, who also gave spectacular performances in the movie, beautifully portrayed the struggles of working in a segregated workspace in the 1960s, as well as the stereotype of her ideas and her work not being good enough because of her race and gender. Henson does a fantastic job playing a character that fiercely fights for her right to be in the workforce, and who breaks down stereotypes by showing her intelligence and drive.

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.