This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Wearing a face mask is incredibly important for keeping everyone safe. Yet, those who struggle with bad acne might be seeing an increase in face irritation. A combination of sweat and humidity that sticks on the surface of the face then creates irritation to the skin, creating that dreaded mask effect. Certain masks, especially ones containing synthetic materials, can even increase this level of irritation. Keep reading to find out more about the mask materials that can help alleviate skin irritation. 

1. Cotton

Just like breathable clothing, cotton masks provide space for the face while still maintaining the levels of safety required right now, since cotton masks with multiple layers provide a safety net from exposure. It is also important to wash the cotton face masks every 1 to 2 days. Typically it is best to have a few on hand for daily use because wearing a mask for more than a day leads to a build-up of sweat and dirt in the mask. This small business called Esteebanji has a unisex collection of cotton face masks that are definitely worth checking out! 

2. Silk

With their cooling and refreshing fabric, silk masks are beneficial for decreasing facial irritation. Silk is a favored fabric when it comes to protecting hair in pillowcases, so it’s no surprise that it’s also great against the skin. The soft textile creates less friction between the material and skin, and with less friction, heat, and moisture are reduced. A small business called Katherineert creates quality silk masks that everyone struggling with maskne should take a look at. 

3. Satin

Similar to silk, satin also gives the skin some soothing room to breathe. While maintaining thick layers, it provides the skin a breathable space to air out humidity and still keeps you safe. By limiting the amount of moisture and bacteria, there’s way less irritation. Small Etsy shop BYKNDL has a satin collection of masks that are simply divine. 

Let me know in the comments below if you’ve ever tried any of these non-irritating masks! Do you have a favorite mask fabric?

Jade Diaz

Lasell '23

Jade is a Senior at Lasell, majoring in Fashion Merchandising and Management. She adores figurative art, and enjoys being creative in any way possible. She is sneaker- obsessed and loves the world of fashion. One fun fact is that her dog Finn, is named after a Star Wars character named FN-2187.