This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

No matter what year someone is in college, it is never a bad time to make a LinkedIn, especially for upperclassmen. 

1. Add Bio, Links, Skills, Everything

Every part of LinkedIn can be used to the employee’s advantage. Adding a bio is like an employer’s first impression of the employee along with the picture. Make sure it is short and sweet, while also laying out the most important skills and attributes. Another great feature of LinkedIn is being able to add links to published work, like an HC author page, or a personal website. These links will make employees stand out to potential employers. The links will also bring up a corresponding picture as well. Towards the bottom of the page, employees can add skills and get coworkers to endorse each other for these important skills. Make sure to add experience, education, accomplishments, contact info, and interests. 

2. Connect with Potential Employers

A great way to get connected with potential companies that are a place of interest and get a look into certain jobs at the company, connect with potential employers, workers of the company. They will probably post about company news and projects going on at the company. 

3. Connect with People who can Write Recommendations

Connect with current co-workers who will write recommendations on LinkedIn. Potential employers can see how great the employee is without having to ask for a letter of recommendation! 

4. Add Resume W/O Personal Info!!!

Oftentimes, resumes have addresses, phone numbers, etc. It is okay to give that information to employers, but not okay to give that information out to the whole world! Make sure to have a separate copy that does not have the information. Having an email is fine for contact information, other than LinkedIn messaging. 

5. Professional Headshot

Headshots should be up-to-date, professional-looking, and not have a lot going on in the background. The simpler the better. Whoever’s profile it is should be the only person in the photo. 

6. Add “Open to Work” Banner

When in the process of looking for a job, add the “open to working” banner around the profile picture. An employee also has the option to add what they are searching for in their next job for recruiters to see. 

7. Add Clubs, Leadership Positions, and Volunteer Work

Early in someone’s career, it can be discouraging to have little work experience compared to others. Adding sports, clubs, leadership roles, volunteer work, etc. can be very beneficial. 

Hope these tips and tricks are helpful for starting off on LinkedIn! Time to get out there and that dream internship or dream job!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.