Style > Beauty

Beauty Binge: Trick Everyone Into Thinking You Have Money for Beauty When You’re Broke AF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Beauty is expensive and most of us college girls aren’t rolling in money. I’m sure we all like to treat ourselves but sometimes we don’t have the cash to spend or want to save up? If you are looking for some ways to save money while catfishing everyone you know, I got you. You don’t need a lot of money to be a catfish.

1. Skip the salon for press-on nails

People always think that I have acrylic nails when in reality they’re press ons- shocker. I am not good at nails and you do not need to be good at nails to pull off this money-saving hack. You can buy a huge pack of press-on nails in your preferred length.

You can shape, them fill them, paint…. And save yourself a minimum of $40. Just make sure when you apply them to apply on dry hands and press down for 15 seconds, then avoid doing anything for the rest of the night.

2. Professional looking lashes with doubled up singles

Do you want everyone to ask who does your lashes? In a world where an average permanent false eyelash set is $150, we do not have money to spend on that every few months. If you prefer the natural look of permanent lashes and don’t mind spending five to ten minutes a day, I got you.

Buy yourself a pack of single doubled up lashes and some eyelash glue for under $10, go to your local beauty supply. You’re gonna want to glue them to the bottom of your lash for a more natural finish. Or if you are feeling bold check out at home lash extension sets. Now no one thinks you’re wearing one and done lashes and you can skip flaunting that tacky band.

3. Don’t sleep on drugstore makeup

DO NOT SLEEP ON DRUGSTORE MAKEUP!!!! You do not need to buy high-end makeup espically in the current competitive market. There are so many cheap drugstore brands out their so you don’t need to spend $40 on a foundation when you can go to the drugstore and buy Maybelline Fit Me for six dollars.

If you need some tried and true brand suggestions check out: Elf, WetNWild, Milani, Maybelline, Colourpop and Makeup Revolution. These brands have never done me wrong and won’t do you wrong either.

4. Home remedy and drugstore price skincare

Check out the back of your favorite high-end skincare product. Your favorite brands are all lying to you.  Most over the counter skin care products can only sell the same limited active ingredients. You can buy the same product for cheaper at the drugstore or try some home remedies if you feeling a good DIY. Beware of home remedies though because not all home remedies are equal.

5. Check those sales at Ulta and Sephora

Ulta and Sephora have sales, so sign up for their email list so you know when they are. If you are looking to buy something maybe wait if a major sale is coming. Also, sign up for their reards so you can get extra stuff for already spending money with them. I know that purple highlighter looks good now but it’ll end in the trash.

I know it can be tempting to buy gimmicky beauty products but think about your purchases. Is it something that you’ll actually use or be thrown in the back of the vanity? Even if it’s half off, be thoughtful of your buying habits.

6. Learn to do your own hair

I am not suggesting doing your own chemical treatments but you should be able to wash your own hair and find cute ways to style it. If you have extra money get that blowout then by all means go, but you can easily do it at home if you have the proper heat tools.

Styling your hair really isn’t that hard if you know the basics, whether it’s trying fake those 3c curls or make your hair bone straight. There are so many tutorials on how to do your hair, just remember to do it on clean hair and use treat protectant.

7. Do your own brows and avoid the painful wax

I do not suggest trying to wax your own brows. However, if you cane used to threading you can do your own brows with a facial razor and tweezers. Brush your brows then map out your brows with a white eyeliner. Remember that less is more. Thanks to the internet, you can look up tutorials so you don’t accidentally shave off part of your brow- because yikes.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.