Style > Beauty

Beauty Binge: Stop using shampoo and co-wash your hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you have textured or dry hair especially, this is the tip for you. Thanks to the innovative of curly hair products, you can now cut down on the amount of shampoo you lather on your hair and switch to a co-wash.

But what is co-wash you may ask?

A co-wash is simply a cream cleanser, you are using a specialized conditioner to clean and hydrate your hair. That means one product does everything, so put down the shampoo and extra conditioner. Co-washing can be used if your choice to go no-poo aka quit shampoo cold turkey. But it is also beneficial to use a few times during the week to refresh your curls or style. You will need to experiment with your wash days to find out what works best for your hair.

This is beneficial for textured hair because it does not strip the hair of vital oils, that textured hair often struggles to retain effecting general hair health. It can also be used if you have an oily scalp because oil breaks down oil. It can overall reduce the amount of oil in your scalp without sacrificing hydration.

When you are co-washing make sure to apply the first layer and use friction along the scalp for about a minute. Then go in with a second layer focusing on the ends to the middle. You can detangle your hair during the second step.

I try to only wash my hair once a week to help retain the moisture, so I was ecstatic to see co-wash in a drugstore market. I can now refresh my hair by using a co-wash instead of using shampoo to remove the product build-up. It helped revive my curl pattern without drying it out. If you try to avoid washing your hair too much, then this is the product for you.

If you have natural hair pick up a co-wash now to help stop dryness of the hair follicles and scalp. Hydration is key for cute curls so what are you waiting for?

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.