Style > Beauty

Beauty Binge: The Natural Acne Coverage Routine You Need For Warm Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Acne is one of the main concerns for women in their teens and twenties. We can all relate to having a pesky pimple pop up out of nowhere, despite not seeing any major changes in our lifestyles or environment. Even though we all know, it’s better to let your skin breathe when you get acne. Sometimes you need to cover it up for an exciting event and don’t want to look like you are wearing a lot of makeup or maybe you’re just self-conscious about it.

Many acne coverage routines suggest heavy products that leave the skin looking mask-like and feeling heavy. If you’ve been looking for a lightweight acne coverage routine that’s perfect for the summer heat, we got your back.

The first step is to start with a hydrating face cream, this will vary greatly depending on your skin type but use your normal morning cream. This allows your skin to be hydrated and avoids highlighting fine lines and texture. The next step is to apply your favorite primer on your skin to create a barrier between your skin and the makeup we are about to apply. Just like moisture, primer is so personal to a person because no one’s skin is the same.

I used L.A. Girl concealer in the green color corrector to cover redness caused by acne and peach to cover any dark spots caused by fading acne scars. Add a thin layer of color corrector and blend it out with a concealer brush or flat top brush for the best results.  I use the Wet n Wild Flat Top Brush because the bristles are soft and dense, without leaving lines in the makeup. This an optional step that I only do if I am covering severe discolorization from acne, most days-this can be skipped.

Then I use the color of the concealer that matches your skin tone and place a thin layer on acne or acne marks. I then use the same flat brush for color correcting to blend out the concealer. I focus on the spot and do not drag the product away. I make sure my brush is in the same area and working in back and forth motions. Once this step is complete your acne will be covered.

The next step is trying to match the texture and color of your skin. I like to use a cushion foundation because I find that it takes the least time and gives a glowy look. My favorite is the L’oreal Lumi Cushion Foundation. You just tap the makeup pad on the sponge then I dot it on the major areas of my face out, then continue to blend with a sponge.

If you are uncomfortable with this method you can also use a bb cream and blend it out with the flat top brush. It requires more blending and makes sure to build the product up. The most natural bb cream with good coverage is Covergirl Clean Matte BB cream, despite claiming to have a matte coverage I think it is very natural.

You can now do the rest of your face makeup as normal. I like to add a translucent powder and skip a facial setting spray. Make sure to blend your bb cream or cushion foundation down your neck for an even more seamless look.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.