Style > Beauty

Battle of the Drugstore Cushion Foundations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The drugstore beauty has never been better with a diverse range of products. Something that many people do not talk about, however, is the use of cushion foundation, with many American women favoring liquid foundation or BB creams. However, cushion foundations have a lot of hidden potentials. Cushion foundations are originally an Asian makeup trend that has leaked into the American market. If you’ve been thinking of picking up a cushion foundation, why not choose a drugstore brand to test out the technique? If you haven’t been sure which cushion foundation to buy, this article is for you. 

Wet N Wild MegaCushion Foundation- $5.99

The Wet N Wild Cushion foundation is a great option for beginners and does not cause any drying on the skin. This applying to the face so easily and blends into the skin perfectly, you don’t need to be a makeup whiz to make it work. From the three foundations, I am listing this one has the least coverage and just evens out the skin. However, it does give a blurring effect to the skin and can help cover some minor marks and discolorization. It also does not crease if you use it under your eyes. The major downside to this product is that it does not have a large shade range, which is something to consider if you have a darker competition. This is a great value product.

Maybelline New York Dream Cushion Fresh Face Liquid Foundation– $15.00

The Maybelline Cushion foundation is a great foundation, however, it was discontinued by Maybelline, so you can only buy it at Walmart online or on Amazon. This foundation is great for combination skin and does not cause any dryness on the skin. It perfectly covers all the imperfections on the face and is the highest coverage from the three foundations, it has medium coverage. However, they also have a small shade range and do not have any deep shades with the darkest being light brown. 

L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Cushion Foundation– $15.99

From this list, the L’Oreal Prais cushion is the most expensive, but it’s worth every penny. This foundation has the best packaging and product. The sponge that is covered in the product is the perfect density to hold and give the correct amount of foundation. The puff that is included in the package also helps to distribute the product in a flawless application. The product gives a beautiful filter-like appearance on your face without looking like you are wearing any makeup. My only note is to make sure that you apply moisture before applying because it is not as hydrating as the Wet N Wild MegaCushion. In my experience, it has even covered up minor acne spots and acne scarring. They also have the largest shade range from all three brands. 

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.