Wellness

Basic, Must-Have Cleaning Supplies to Keep in Your Dorm

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Let’s face it, dorm rooms can get gross. No matter how clean of a person you may be, sharing a space with other people or using a dorm bathroom or kitchen is going to lead to a need to clean. Keeping a clean space is important for both physical and mental health, and for keeping respectful relationships with those that you share your spaces with. While you could definitely have more than this, here is a basic list of cleaning supplies that you should have on hand in your dorm:

1. Disinfectant Wipes and Spray

Disinfectant products are so important for being able to both clean and kill viruses and bacteria, so you can do your best to avoid the college cold. While disinfectant wipes are handy and useful for wiping down tables, chairs, and desks, they cannot be used on porous surfaces. But! Disinfectant spray can, which is why I recommend having both. My favorites for this category are Clorox Wipes and Lysol Disinfectant Spray.

1. All-Purpose Cleaner

No, this is not the same as a disinfectant product. While Clorox Wipes will disinfect a surface, an all-purpose cleaner is needed to remove dirt from a surface first (This is known as two-step cleaning!). An all-purpose cleaner can be used on any non-porous surface and is very helpful for spills and everyday cleaning. My favorite all-purpose cleaner is Blueland Multi-Surface cleaner. Its reusable bottle and tablet-based formula is super eco-friendly, but there definitely are cheaper options out there as well.

1. Dish Cleaning Supplies

It’s important to have something on hand to clean those 75¢ target plates (I know you have them). Simply having dish soap and a sponge on hand is really all you need to keep your dishes from piling up, but I also like to have a bottle brush and a straw cleaning brush as well. My favorite dish soap to use is Dawn Power-Wash spray, which I also use to clean my sink after washing dishes.

1. Bathroom Cleaning Supplies

If you share a community bathroom with lots of other people, there’s probably someone coming in to clean it. However, if you’re lucky enough to have a bathroom in your suite or on-campus apartment, you’re also responsible for keeping it clean. My favorite cleaner for the shower and sink is Tilex Cleaner, which fights mold and mildew, which I then follow-up with a disinfectant. You’ll also need any toilet bowl cleaner and a brush. 

1. Broom and Mop

Floors get gross, especially during the New England winters. Having either a broom or a dustpan and a mop, preferably a Swiffer or another version of a reusable pad mop is super important. You’ll probably be shocked by the amount of dirt that you pick up!

While there are tons of other cleaning supplies you could make a point to have in your dorm, I believe that these are the necessities to creating a clean and healthy living space!

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.