Barbies vs. Bratz: The Movie Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Kids love excitement; they hate being bored, desperately clinging to every new thing in their environment. Most kids play with toys: action figures, dolls, cars, playdough. They love it all. Once in a while, a company will follow a trend and make movies or tv shows about those toys. 

Two of those movie franchises are Bratz and Barbies. These were my favorite two as a child. I watched almost all of the movies, from both franchises, from the time I was four to about eight or nine. They were my life, my reason for existence. And now, I’m going to discuss my favorites. 

Best Barbie Movie:

Barbie in The Twelve Dancing Princesses

This movie was a highlight of my childhood. For months, any second I had, I would watch this movie. 

It has everything a young girl could want: magic, dancing, beautiful dresses, and a family of sisters that comes together to save their father. The twelve sisters, led by Princess Genevieve, fall into a new world in which they can hide from their father’s wicked cousin. After their father falls ill, they work together to save him and restore their family. 

My favorite part about this movie would most likely be the scene where the sisters’ first discover the magic steps in their room. I’m sure it’s cliche to say that’s my favorite scene, however it’s just simply a great moment. I love watching as Genevieve moves from stone to stone, and the excitement on each sisters’ face as the stone’s light up. It’s a magical moment. 

Best Bratz Movie:

Bratz Kidz: Fairy Tales

While my Bratz phase may have been a little short lived, it was still very enjoyable; whether it was movies about them as teeangers, as kids, or even as real people. 

In Bratz Kidz Fairy Tales, a talking frog introduces itself to the four main characters. Chloe, Jade, Sasha, and Yasmin are transported into a fairy tale book and doomed to be there forever, unless they’re able to live happy endings in each of their stories. 

I love this movie so much, because of the fairy tales that are represented: Rapunzel, Snow White, Red Riding Hood, and Cinderella. These are only a few of the major fairy tales that defined my childhood. 

Overall:

Both of these franchises have a special place in my heart, and to be honest I can’t compare them. They’re from two different phases of my life and each had their own input on my developing personality. Whether it’s Barbie in The Twelve Dancing Princesses or Bratz Kidz: Fairy Tales, either can give a child a special moment where they can explore new worlds. 

Jade Durkee

Lasell '25

Hi! I'm Jade Durkee, I'm a junior Psychology major at Lasell University. I'm from Hopatcong, New Jersey. I love reading, video games, crocheting, and playing piano.