Ashley Burke: Polished Magazine and Graphic Design League

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Ashley Burke is a sophomore majoring in Fashion Communication with a Graphic Design minor. Burke loves Lasell and enjoys being involved in the college community. One of her favorite parts of studying here is the education she receives.

“This school is so unique in the way that all students get one-on-one attention with their professors,” Burke said. She considers herself a hands-on learner and blossoms here at Lasell, due to having the ability to have that experience here. Burke says her proudest moment while being at Lasell so far is getting her final grades back.

“In high school I was an okay student, but I often found myself just going through the motions and not actually enjoying my education,” said Burke. “I think that’s a big part in why I do so well at Lasell. I want to learn. In almost all of my classes I am engaged and enjoy the subjects.”

Burke is busy on campus outside of the classroom as well. She is involved with Tarnished and Polished, Lasell’s two magazines, to create layouts for them. Burke is also on the Graphic Design League, where she helps other clubs and organizations on campus by doing their graphic design work. The thing that Burke is most proud to be involved in this year is Emerging Leaders, a program she was fortunate enough to be chosen for. It teaches those in the Lasell community who already go above and beyond how to become even better leaders.

Burke is family and friend-oriented, and believes everyone needs to be surrounded by the people who love and support them.  

“I surround myself with a group of people who I know that even if I mess up, they are still going to love me no matter what at the end of the day,” Burke said.

In five years, Burke sees herself living in Boston and furthering her career in the fashion world.

“I love Boston because being a city of its size, you often find a new person each day who is just a little bit different,” said Burke. “Being the upbeat person I am, there is a lot I can bring to the city and its fashion community.” Burke loves the Boston street style scene and finds herself inspired by it. Her personal sense of style can be described as from the 90’s, but mixed with edge and comfort.

Burke has three great tips to give to incoming freshmen: “Being yourself is really the biggest key, form as many connections as you can because you never know when you’ll need them, and don’t skip class!”

*Photos provided by Burke

Elizabeth is a Senior at Lasell College, she is a writer and President for the Lasell Her Campus chapter.