This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Amazon recently revealed their newest product, the Amazon Key, which allows Amazon deliverers to enter our homes and leave our packages right inside. This idea also allows homeowners to enter our houses with no keys involved, like dog walkers, friends, family, and neighbors. The ideas behind this product are to revolutionize home delivery – with technology. The ‘key’ that Amazon installs in your house removes the physical need for one, and your front door can be unlocked by Amazon without you even being inside your home. The $250 package includes the new ‘key,’ along with a Cloud Cam, that allows you to watch the footage of your packages being placed inside your home, and the option to have your new devices installed for free. When your background-checked Amazon delivery person arrives, you will be notified when your door unlocks, and you will be able to watch them live on your Cloud Cam, or rewatch the footage later. This new technological advance aims to eliminate stolen or broken packages and be convenient for the customer.

Amazon Key makes us ask ourselves if we are okay with strangers entering our homes, as they can unlock our doors whenever they please. With this, we have to ask what comes next. Will delivery people soon be able to open our packages after they bring them inside, and start assembling them? Will they take our groceries and put them away for us? Lately, all of Amazon’s ideas seem to interconnect, with the newly introduced Amazon Key, the purchase of Whole Foods, and our Dash Buttons, all being able to be used by one another. Soon, we will be able to hit our Dash Buttons when we run out of ice cream, and the next day, someone will be at our front doors and putting new cartons in our freezers! Is this step too far, or is it the latest technology we have to keep up with? Amazon also encourages customers to use their new Keys to let services into their houses – with allowing cleaning services inside homes, your house can be cleaned in time for dinner when you are still at work. This new product revolutionizes the way we shop and live, and it is really interesting to see the futuristic technology unfold.

Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.