Alumni Adventures: Boycotting Coachella? Great! Here are Some Other Things to Boycott as Well with Raegan Cleary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Miss our old staff? Us too. We thought there’s no better way to throw it back than by inviting some of our fav alumni writers back for one week only. Get ready to dive in to the nostalgia!

Coachella may be the most buzzed-about music festival of the past decade- celebrities and influencers alike flock to the weekend-long festival in Indio, Calif. every year. However, recently the festival has been getting a different type of attention. Now people all over the internet are calling for a boycott of the festival due to Anschutz Entertainment Group founder Phillip Anschutz’s affiliation with anti-LGBTQ charities. Want to boycott Coachella this year? Here are a bunch of other things you should boycott as well. 

Any other event hosted by AEG Presents: 

Unfortunately, AEG Entertainment is the second largest entertainment group after Live Nation. They partner with promoters all around the world, including The Bowery Presents, the leading concert promoter on the East Coast, who’s venues include The Sinclair in Cambridge and The Royale in Boston. AEG Presents and its partners also put on other famous festivals including Firefly and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.

Walden Media films:

Film company Walden Media, which is responsible for bringing childhood favorites like Holes and Because of Winn-Dixie is also part of AEG. Is nothing sacred? 

Popular Sports Teams:

AEG also has ownership in a few sports teams you may have heard of including the LA Galaxy, the LA Lakers, and the Cincinnati Cyclones.

As you can see, boycotting Coachella is a lot more complicated than people on the internet make it seem. With a little research, it’s nearly impossible to find a company that hasn’t been a little shady at some point, so don’t feel bad if you can’t escape them entirely. You can still do your part in speaking out against issues that matter to you while enjoying your favorite artist or sports team.

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.