After Five Years I Finally Decided to Watch Stranger Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I do not think I can count the number of times that I have been asked to watch Stranger Things over five years. My parents and siblings would be binge-watching an entire season in one day once it was released while I refused to watch even just one episode. I guess I just did not see the appeal. To me, it seemed like a bunch of weird middle school kids and a show with just Sci-Fi elements and nothing else.

For reference, I am more of a romance and drama type of show/movie watcher. My boyfriend finally convinced me I needed to give it a try. I trust his judgment and if he honestly thinks that I would like the show I guess it was worth a shot. Sure enough, I began watching it over winter break and watched all three seasons in maybe a little over a week. Needless to say, I am now hooked and patiently awaiting season four.

As I was watching it became clear to me that there was so much more to the show than what it looked like from the outside. Something I love is the relationships that build over time, romantic or platonic. The Duffer Brothers who wrote the show I was extremely impressed with. I was fascinated with the plotline and the writing of the show. After many episodes, I would find myself in shock and wondering how they came up with certain ideas and how different stories were being tied together. Getting to see some of the eighties fashion, hair and makeup was a fun aspect too. For anyone else who may be a skeptic of the show like I was, I highly recommend watching an episode or two. I feel it truly does have something for everyone. 

Be on the lookout for season four of Stranger Things coming to Netflix summer of 2022!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.