This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If you’re a twenty-something to thirty-something woman on social media you’ve probably seen targeted ads for the Hulu show Dollface. The show first aired in 2019, but its latest season just dropped in February 2022. The show follows the lives of four young women in LA and boasts a cast of fan favorites including Kat Dennings, Brenda Song, and Shay Mitchell. 

I chose to binge Dollface over the course of a week. I picked it as the show I played in the background of other activities so I wouldn’t get bored. Soon enough though I was waiting for the time in my day where I could squeeze in just a few more minutes of the episodes. One of the best things about Dollface is its visuals. Besides making everyday sets gorgeous, Dollface also adds an element of the fantastical into its sets. Main character Jules, played by Kat Dennings, often has conversations with a CGI talking cat-woman, or tours all pink relationship airports filled with women. These asides add a whimsical element to the comedy show and make it visually enthralling. 

The message of Dollface is also a lovely look at some of the more nuanced issues women face in 2022. Without spoiling it, the inciting action of the show is that Jules’ long time boyfriend breaks up with her and she realizes she’s become completely absorbed in his world. She has to find ways to reconnect with her best friends and also balance what being a good friend means in today’s world. Each of her friends struggles with their own issues like growing out of your wild phase, forgiving friends, and standing up for yourself in the workplace. The stories told and the journeys the characters go on are highly relatable and touching. 

One flaw of the show is its pacing. Sometimes the stories feel drawn out while others are rushed through and not examined deep enough. I think season two suffered more from this than season one, but I’m very interested in where they’ll go in the future. Even with sometimes slow stories, the humor of the show will keep you hooked. Despite the characters being in their 30s, this show feels distinctly Gen Z. The trendy humor isn’t clunky or forced or out of touch. The people in the writers room clearly knew how to reach their audience. 
Overall, Dollface is a fun show about being a young woman today and you should absolutely put it on your to-binge list. If nothing else, watch Dollface for the episode where Matthew Grey Gubler calls himself a dirty, dirty girl.

Julia LaPlante is the Vice President and Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Lasell. She oversees and assissts and E and S boards as well as the copy editing team. Away from Her Campus, Julia is a senior English major at Lasell. She works at Lasell's library as she studies towards her Masters in Library and Information Science. In her free time, Julia enjoys reading gothic literature, watching nerdy television shows, and walking in nature. Julia deeply believes in the importantce of mindfulness and chocolate to ones attitude.