This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Flying home for the holidays is always going to be stressful. As a college student who just finished a week’s worth of final exams and challenging projects, the last thing we want to deal with is a crowded airport full of cranky elderly relatives and screaming snotty children. However, I have learned ways to cope with the chaos of various airports and keep my sanity entirely. These items can be in your totebag/purse or carry on and, in my past experiences, will save you from a grumpy arrival to your hometown. 

Airpods are truly the one thing that keeps me clear headed as I navigate through loaded escalators and five-hour flights. As soon as I see a baby line up to board my flight, I have to pop one in and start listening to my downloaded music and podcasts. During your flight, you can use them to tune out all of the turmoil it is taking to get you home. 

So, now you’re strapped in and ready for your flight home, what are you going to do with no Wifi for 2-8 hours? In my experience, the best forms of entertainment will be books and downloaded movies on your preferred electronic device. Some of my favorite films and novels were read/watched while traveling home for the holidays, including We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid,   When Harry Met Sally (1989), and many more! Feeling festive? Download classics such as Elf (2003) or reread a literary staple like Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

While it would be ideal to have a direct flight back home, many of us are bound to experience at least one insane layover time spent sitting around an airport in a city you’ve never even visited before (looking at you ATL and LGA airports!). However, there is much that can be accomplished during these wasteful hours. It can sound uncomfortable for those of us who are socially awkward, but take advantage of those airport restaurants when you can! Sit by yourself at the bar, plug in your phone, and just order an appetizer or two. You might have to sit next to boisterous families or odd elderly couples, but if you just put your Airpods in and ignore them, everything will be fine. Plus, it’s important to eat, especially during such a stressful day of travel!

Whether you’re taking a 30-minute flight or an entire day’s worth of layover flights, these tips have assisted me during my times of insane air travel and will hopefully help you too.

Audrey Cowan

Lasell '26

HOU➵BOS Lover of reading/writing, spiritualism, and Lipton Peach Iced Tea <3