Culture > News

90210 and Riverdale Fans Suffer Heartbreaking News That Luke Perry, 52, Passes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

90210 and Riverdale star Luke Perry passed away due to complications on Monday, March 4, 2019, in a hospital in Burbank, California. The news that Perry had suffered a stroke broke on Wednesday last week and left his co stars and fans in a state of shock. Luke was surrounded by family and close friends when he passed. This included his children Jake, 21, and Sophie, 18,  fiance Wendy Madison Bauer, his ex-wife Rachel ‘Minnie’ Sharp, as well as his mother, step-father, and siblings.

Perry was first known for playing the role of Dylan McKay in the 1990s TV show 90210 and has since moved onto playing our favorite parent (and most sane) Fred Andrews in Riverdale. He was seen as a mentor and father figure by his younger castmates, especially by his on-screen son, KJ Apa (Archie Andrews). Many of his former and current costars have taken to social media with kind messages about the kind and caring man that Luke was. 

Other celebrities such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlie Sheen, and Ryan Seacrest have taken to social media as well to express their love for Luke. Perry’s daughter who, unlike her brother Jack, is not used to being in the spotlight, posted a heartfelt message on Instagram thanking people for their support during this difficult time.

The news of Perry’s passing has left everyone speechless. He was a respected actor with much experience under his belt. The only question is: what will happen to Fred on Riverdale?

Luke, thank you for being an icon to many. You have shared your wisdom with the world and have shed light on what it means to be a kind and compassionate person. Riverdale will never be the same. The world lost a wonderful man. To Luke’s family, friends, and Riverdale costars, my heart goes out to you. Rest in paradise, Luke Perry.

Gabriela Giubilo is a senior at Lasell College. She is majoring in Event Management with a minor in Psychology. She loves to read, watch tv, spend lots of time on Tumblr, and hang out with friends in family. She just completed a semester abroad in Queensland, Australia. Her goal is to work as an event designer and move to LA.