7 Winter Trends To Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Now that October is over, it’s time to jump right into winter.  Some scientists have been claiming this is going to be a brutal winter, and it’s time to start layering up. Stylists have already started predicting the major trends for this winter and WGSN has uncovered all of the season’s hottest looks.

Winter Bodysuits

Bodysuits are usually seen as skimpy party clothes, but Kendall and Kylie Jenner and Gigi Hadid are revamping the bodysuit trend.  Forever 21 and Choices have been watching these style icons and are creating their body suits to be able to take on the winter weather.  With thicker fabrics, longer sleeves, and turtle necks being added, it can be worn alone with jeans or layered to keep anyone cozy while walking the streets.

Huge, Baggy Sweatshirts

Kanye West’s clothing line has become a huge inspiration for autumn/winter trends ever since his season one launch.  Taking inspiration from his baggy, androgynous looks, huge sweatshirts will help anyone look comfy and casual.  The colors that will be staying with this trend will be dusty pinks and earth tones, also influenced by the Yeezy lines.  Zara has taken a hint with Kanye’s clothing line by exhibiting long-line silhouettes and started releasing their own baggy sweatshirts as well.     

Layered Dresses

In the fall, lace slip dresses were paired with a t-shirt in order to make summer fashion wearable.  Now for the winter, the trend has continued, pairing delicate slip dresses with long-sleeved turtleneck, crew or knit tops.  In order to make the trend even more of a winter staple, wear slips cut from silk and velvet.  Urban Outfitters and Glam Radars took hint to the upcoming trend in the pictures below.    

Mom Jeans

Skinny jeans have been out for a while and now a ‘90s grunge, loose mom-jean fit is in.  Even though mom jeans have been on trend, with inspiration coming from I Love Friday and Look de Pernille, there are ways they can be converted to stay on trend during the winter.  Mom jeans are loose enough to allow leggings or tights to be worn underneath, so anyone can be stylish and toasty at all times.

Puffy Coats

Puffy coats allow for the ultimate warmth during the cold season.  With the cheery and easy to pair colors, it brightens up any dull and white winter day.  Winter is all about layers and companies like Primark and River Island provide the necessary puffy coat to get it all started.

Sweater Dresses

Asos and Visual Optimism show that sweater dresses are the all-around statement for coziness.  The chunky rib texture, high necks, and long-line shapes help add direction to the mood the sweater dresses give off.  The neutral hues allow the style to stay minimalistic.

Camel Coats

Camel coats are the ultimate piece needed to tackle winter.  There are various styles so anyone can take their pick on whatever fits their style the best.  The drop shoulders, extra-long lapels, and long sleeves add edge to the statement piece.  It turns such a classic item into a commercial statement piece. Elle and BlogLovin showed that the camel coat is the only statement you’ll need this winter.

(All photos taken from WGSN.com)

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.