6 DIY Costumes Perfect for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner which means it’s time to start thinking about your Halloween costume.  As college students, many of us are on a fairly tight budget which means that a $50 costume from Spirit of Halloween is out of the question.  Some of us just can’t decide what to be and find ourselves costume-less at 10 p.m. on Oct. 30.  So it is without further ado that I present you with six Halloween costumes you can make with what’s in your closet.

Pirate

Pirate costumes are a classic, so you really cannot go wrong here.  For an ensemble that is equally comfortable as it is cute, pair a striped top with leggings or yoga pants, tall boots and a scarf tied around your head.

Morticia Addams

If iconic characters are more your style, a Morticia Addams costume will be easy to make and fun to wear.  Put on a black maxi dress, or a black maxi skirt with a black top, and you’ve recreated her signature look.

Sherlock Holmes

Sherlock Holmes is yet another character whose signature look is easy to recreate.  Simply pair a blazer with houndstooth or plaid-print pants and a newsboy cap and you’re good to go.

Referee

If you’re into sports, why not go as an official?  For a referee costume, you’ll need a black-and-white striped outfit, be it a dress, skirt or pants, and some sneakers and a lanyard to match.

Island Girl

If you miss the hot summer days, then this is the costume for you.  Pair a flowy skirt with a tank top and a lei for summery vibes.

Knight

Yet another classic costume that you can’t go wrong with.  A gray knit top and black leggings, and a fake sword in your hand will have you ready for battle.

Halloween is a fun time of year, but picking the right costume can be stressful.  If you stay within budget and choose carefully, you can rock any Halloween costume!

*Images taken from Pinterest.com

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.