Red Building Band Tee And Red Skirt
Red Building Band Tee And Red Skirt
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

2000s Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The 2000s are back and better than ever! But many have forgotten how people used to actually dress in the 2000s, especially early 2000s. Many people on social media have been putting 2000s fashion to shame by completely re-branding it to a whole new style. In this article, I will be teaching you what the real 2000s had as fashion and other fashion trends that started throughout the 2000s. Let’s get this party started!

Skinny Scarf: Skinny scarves were the statement piece to have for an outfit. You wouldn’t be able to feel complete without one, even if you didn’t need a scarf when it’s over 80 degrees outside and it’s close to summer vacation.

Layering: And no, I don’t mean layering for winter. Wearing numerous shirts and making sure that every layer was showing with maybe a little jacket over it was an actual trend back then. Most of the shirts would be tank tops and could be layered up to two or four, or even five shirts.

Concealer Lips: Having your lips be the complete opposite color than they’re supposed to be, possibly even way lighter than they’re supposed to be, was a must have if you wanted to be seen as pretty or hot. But be careful: concealer dries up, especially on the lips, and you’ll end up with cracks in your lips as if you have, as what they were called back then, the “butthole lips”.

Side Bangs: Side bangs were something that so many girls wanted. Every actress and artist had side bangs that made all the girls go wild; some even went far enough to cut their own hair to get the side bangs. R.I.P their hair.

Gaucho Pants: Gaucho pants are trousers that end mostly at the middle of the calf and are usually wide-legged. These pants were worn by every woman: teens, young adults, mothers, etc. But a lot of people don’t wear them as much due to the pants looking more unflattering on the body, but they also outline…..a certain body part too well.

Low-rise Jeans: Low-rise jeans were and still are one of the hottest types of pants to ever be made. Celebrities were wearing them all the time, resulting in average teens wearing them. To this day, people love these types of jeans, but the only problem they have is that they can expose someone’s bottom if they sit down or bend in a certain way.

Hair Bump: Of course the only person that can always pull off a hair bump is the one and only Snooki from Jersey Shore. The hairstyle involved the middle of the hair being pushed up to form a bump, while the rest of the hair would be straight. This hairstyle even has a product to help create the perfect bump.

Dress Over Pants: This style is still pretty cute to wear; it all depends on the type of dress and pants that can be the perfect combination such as a pair of jeans with a flowy mid short dress. This trend was most popular with Disney Channel actresses like Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez. People started to think this was ugly, even when it was a trend in the 2000s, but I think it’s super cute.

Astara is a sophomore at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing. She loves to collect items of her favorite Sanrio character named Cinnamoroll. Her hobbies are creating new outfits, collecting trinkets and figures and playing video games on her Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Dsi. You can find her either in her room decorating her space or on the third floor of her building with her best friend watching The Nanny while doing work.