10 Last-Minute Spring Break Trips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Thinking about spring break can be stressful if you are cutting it close and you still have yet to plan anything. Some of us just aren’t very proactive when it comes to planning a vacation. Luckily, there are so many ways to to spend your week off with little stress. From staying low-key and low cost and traveling just a car ride away, to hopping on a plane and heading somewhere far, there are plenty of options.

There is a huge plus side to staying local, and that is the low-cost factor. Depending where you live, there are fun places all around the country to take spontaneous trips with your friends. Here are 10 ways to make this a spring break to remember.

1. Portland, Maine

Portland is Maine’s largest city, located right on the seacoast. It’ll be a little cold to go swimming, but Portland has so many great restaurants, nightlife and a lot of shopping. The cobblestone streets and brick buildings give it a charming old-timey feel. You can easily do a day trip here, or stay a couple days.

2. Rhode Island Lighthouses

Another great day trip in New England is to road trip around Rhode Island to look at lighthouses. Rhode Island is pretty small, and there are more than 30 lighthouses to venture out and see. This is a great last minute road trip to take with friends if you live close by.

3. Mystic, Connecticut

Mystic is another town that has great places to eat, fun events, shopping downtown, and charming breweries and wineries to visit. Make it a day trip, or spend a couple days here; there’s plenty to do.

4. Martha’s Vineyard

Martha’s Vineyard offers more than just their stunning beaches. Come here for a relaxing getaway with incredible places to eat, and stay at a cozy bed and breakfast by the water. There are many activities to sign up for and of course, shopping.

5. Take a road trip with no destination.

Grab some friends, get in the car and go. Sometimes having no plan is the best plan. Being spontaneous and exploring new places can be so exciting. Make sure to take a lot of pictures because you’ll want to remember a trip like this.

6. Visit family in another state.

This is a great opportunity to not only spend time with your family, but to have a change of scenery and do some exploring in a new place. You can have your family show you around, or venture out on your own.

7. Explore your nearby city.

Spend some time in a city near you: Boston, New York City, Austin, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., etc. There are countless ways to spend your time in any of these cities. Or make a real vacation out of it and travel to a city that you’ve never been to before. This takes a bit more planning and possibly a plane ticket, but it’s so worth it to explore what other parts of the country have to offer. You can make this experience as low-key or as wild as you want, it all depends on what you make of it.

8. Go to the beach.

If you are lucky enough to live where it is warm at this time of year, a week at the beach is the perfect solution to your spring break troubles. This is very low cost and takes little planning, especially if you live close to the coast.

9. Travel to a spring break destination in the US.

There are many cities in the warmer parts of the US that can easily be planned last minute. Travel to New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, Daytona Beach, and more if you’re looking for a wilder vacation. You can easily find cheap flights and Airbnb it to achieve an amazing last minute, traditional spring break vacation.

10. Do something that you’ve always wanted to.

Whether this be skydiving or trying this local restaurant everybody raves about, spring break is the time to do it. Try something out of your comfort zone that you haven’t had the courage to do, or maybe just do something that you’ve never set aside the time to do. Whatever it is, make the most out of your spring break and create memories that you can look back on forever.