10 Books Everyone Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Reading is not only a great way to sharpen your mind, but it’s also a great way to de-stress after a long day. Reading gives us the chance to escape from our world and enter into another one. Our knowledge and vocabulary deepens, but so does our imagination. Over the years, I’ve accumulated a list of books that have become my all-time favorites that I always recommend to people. Here’s a list of 10 books everyone should read!

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Cath is a major Simon Snow fan. Being a fangirl is Cath’s life. She reads and writes fanfiction, and has Simon Snow paraphernalia in her college dorm. Her twin sister Wren has strayed away from her life as a fangirl and has made the change to being a normal college student-which includes drinking and partying. Cath is upset that Wren doesn’t want to dorm with her, and the question is, can she live without her sister? While on campus, she meets a boy named Levi. They become friends and it slowly grows into something more.

Eleanor and Park, Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park are not your typical high school students. Eleanor has crazy red hair and wears weird clothes. Park is a shy Asian who does everything he can to avoid bringing attention to himself. That is until Eleanor walks onto the bus for her first day of school. Once they break their barrier of silence, they see that they have a lot in common, their love of comics and good music. Neither one of them has a perfect life, and they find comfort in each other.

Tuesdays with Morrie, Mitch Albom

In Tuesdays with Morrie, Morrie, a retired and dying professor, is teaching his final lesson with one of his long-lost college students. After seeing his professor on “Nightline,” he remembered that he never kept his promise to keep in touch with him. Morrie has been diagnosed with ALS, and it completely debilitates him and he is no longer able to do the things he loves. Mitch spends his Tuesdays with Morrie, and each week is filled with lessons about “The Meaning of Life.”

Percy Jackson series, Rick Riordan

Although I read this series when I was a kid, it’s still one of my favorite series that I’ve read up-to-date. Percy Jackson is a demigod, the child of a god and a mortal. He is Poseidon’s first and only child. Throughout the series, Percy and his friends go on many quests to save Olympus and each other, as well as their home, Camp Halfblood. I would reread it again!

House of Night series, PC Cast & Kristin Cast

16-year-old Zoey Redbird is marked by a vampyre tracker. After being marked, Zoey now has to leave her family and friends in Oklahoma to move into the House of Night, a boarding school for fledgling vampyres just like her. Zoey finds out she is not your average fledgling vampyre. She was marked by Nyx, the vampyre Goddess. While at House of Night, Zoey faces so much evil. Now that Zoey knows about this hidden world, will she be able to play her part in keeping it safe?

Gabriela Giubilo is a senior at Lasell College. She is majoring in Event Management with a minor in Psychology. She loves to read, watch tv, spend lots of time on Tumblr, and hang out with friends in family. She just completed a semester abroad in Queensland, Australia. Her goal is to work as an event designer and move to LA.