Your 2016 Halloween Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Halloween is approaching (and probably so are some of your deadlines!) so if like me you’ve run out of inspiration on Netflix, why not pick up a spooky read or two to distract yourself from that ever increasing pile of work on your desk.

The Classic- Dracula-Bram Stoker

“Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!”

The original, and possibly the best halloween horror! The vampire novel has been reinvented more times than I can count, but you really can’t go wrong with Stoker’s classic.

The One with the Axe- The Shining-Stephen King

“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I’m not gonna hurt ya. I’m just going to bash your brains in.”

You’ve probably seen the film so why not scare yourself silly with another visit to the Overlook Hotel? We hope you have a pleasant stay..

The Horror Romance- A Discovery of Witches-Deborah Harkness

“As far as I can tell there are only two emotions that keep the world spinning year after year…One is fear. The other is desire.”

A grown up fantasy full of forbidden romance, this book is sexy and addictive and will leave you wanting more. Which is great news as this book is part of The All Souls Trilogy :)

The Spooky One- Affinity-Sarah Waters

“Now you know why you are drawn to me – why your flesh comes creeping to mine, and what it comes for. Let it creep.”

Lancaster University Alumni, Sarah Water’s second book ‘Affinity’, set within a Victorian prison, is packed with unruly passions and spiritual visitors. This is the perfect gothic drama for your Halloween reading.

The Vampire Monologues- Interview With The Vampire-Anne Rice

“I was a newborn vampire, weeping at the beauty of the night.”

Follow the story of Louis transformation into a vampire at the hands of the menacing Lestat. Plus, you have to watch the film and see vintage Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise playing the roles of Louis and Lestat. Look at that hair!

The Gentle Murder Mystery- And then there were none-Agatha Christie

“One of us in this very room is in fact the murderer.”

If you prefer Netflix to a night out, and don’t want a book that will give you nightmares then this classic Christie is the one for you!

Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling