World Television Day: What Is Your Favourite TV Show?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Everyone has a favourite show (or so I’ve found out, many favourite TV shows), so in honour of World Television Day, I decided to conduct mini interviews with some friends about their favourite TV shows!  Warning though, you’re probably going to need a Netflix account to check out some of these favourites:

Natasha, Business Studies.

Parks and Recreation-

Political sitcom, but don’t worry, you don’t need to know anything about politics.

“Parks and Recreation is a genius show that will just make you feel good no matter what, plus its got Amy P which is always a good thing.”

(Available on Amazon Prime)

Olivia, History and German.

The Killing (original Danish version) and Luther-

Both about mysterious crimes and the subsequent detective work trying to catch the baddies, but super gripping.

“I hate horrors but absolutely love a good thriller. The original version of The Killing (Forbrydelsen) and Luther are two favourites of mine- dark, clever and both completely reel you in to the murder cases that each show is respectively involved in.”

(Luther available on Netflix).

Elliott, Geography.

David Attenborough’s Planet Earth series-

Beloved Sir David Attenborough returns for the second series of Planet Earth with some amazing footage, including a recent sequence of the world’s luckiest iguana (YouTube it).

“Planet Earth is an unrivalled commentary by Sir David, years of research and analysis of animal behaviour through ground breaking techniques and the photography enables the viewer to fully understand any animal behaviour. It gives us a useful insight into the world beyond our own ecosystem that we live in and we see how our consequences can have a major knock on effect for nature and its environment.”

(Available BBC iPlayer)

Ellie, Primary Teaching.

Desperate Housewives, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad-

Desperate Housewives follows the lives of four women while being narrated by their deceased friend who committed suicide in the pilot. Game of Thrones, features many twisting plots, where basically everyone kills each other in order to compete for the Iron Throne. Finally, Breaking Bad (awarded the greatest TV show of all time) follows the lives of Walter White, a chemistry teacher diagnosed with terminal lung cancer, and his former student Jesse Pinkman, who produce and deal crystal meth.

“My favourite TV shows are Desperate Housewives simply because it has everything- funny moments, sad moments, and crazy moments (I’ll never forgive them for what they did to Mike)! Game of Thrones because I love the unpredictability and the intricacy of the story lines. And Breaking Bad because I love the complexity of the characterization and right and wrong, how you can love some characters who aren’t really the best people? Plus, the drama is insane!” 

(Desperate Housewives and Game of Thrones box sets available on Sky On Demand and Breaking Bad available on Netflix).

Peter, Accounting and Finance.

Narcos-

Crime thriller about a billionaire drug lord based on real life events in Columbia.

“Every episode is action-packed and based on real events. It just keeps me stuck in”.

(Available on Netflix)

Amelia, Business Studies.

Impractical Jokers and Peep Show-

Impractical Jokers follows ‘four life long friends who compete to embarrass each other’, using a hidden camera format to prank one another. British sitcom, Peep Show revolves around two friends, Mark, the socially awkward one and Jeremy, an unemployed ‘musician’ who doesn’t really have a grasp on reality. 

“I love how light-hearted and easy it is to watch Impractical Jokers. It’s one of the only shows on TV that genuinely can make me laugh time and time again. And finally a recent one is peep show – it’s on Netflix so it’s easy to binge watch and it’s also extremely relatable”

(Impractical Jokers is on Mondays 10pm on Comedy Central while Peep Show’s available on All4).

Me, English Language in the Media.

Friends-

Set in New York, Friends has achieved legendary status. The sitcom revolves around the lives of six friends who hang out in each others apartments, drink too much coffee and get themselves in various shenanigans. 

I honestly don’t remember a time when Friends hasn’t been on the TV, I’m pretty sure my parents watched from the initial UK airing in ’95. I’ve seen every episode hundreds of times yet I never get bored and still find it hilarious! Plus, its arguably the most quotable TV show ever.

(On Comedy Central allllllll day).

Turns out its difficult to have just one favourite show, so here’s some other shows that were mentioned: South Park, Peaky Blinders, Gogglebox, Modern Family, Mad Men, Gavin and Stacey, House M.D., Keeping Up with the Kardashians, New Girl and The Big Bang Theory. 

Lancaster University English Language in the Media student. Seem to have a high interest in all things pop culture, social media and the trivial...
Lover of fashion, beauty, art, travelling