bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why You Should Switch to the Menstrual Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

It’s that time of the month again, ladies!

With the climate crisis looming, debates on waste and sustainability are becoming increasingly common in our daily lives, but how much do you know about the environmental drawbacks of your period?

Six months ago I began to look into the answer and discovered the extent of waste produced by disposable period products. I had seen menstrual cups before, but the idea quite honestly freaked me out! It was so unusual to me and I had so many questions: Isn’t it messy? Uncomfortable? How do you insert it? Can I use it in public bathrooms?

Six months in, though, I feel informed enough to try and convince you to make the same switch – or at least give it a try. And here’s why.

They’re Better for the Planet

Let’s face it, tampons and pads, just like any other disposable item, are not good for our planet. The average sanitary towel contains 4 plastic bags worth of plastic, and 1.5-2 billion menstrual items are flushed down Britain’s loos each year – much of this plastic ends up in our oceans, on our beaches, and are consumed by marine animals (statistics from Friends of the Earth).

The cup completely eliminates these issues of waste as its washable and reusable!

You Can Wear Them for Longer

Tampons are advised to be in no longer than 8 hours due to the risk of toxic shock syndrome (TSS), but with the cup collecting blood rather than absorbing it, there is no risk of TSS. The cup can be worn for up to 12 hours, which, when you have a long day of lectures and meetings, takes away all the hassle of having to find toilets with sanitary bins throughout the day.

If like me you suffer with a heavy flow, you’ll be familiar with your tampon beginning to leak as quickly as 4 hours in to wearing it. An uncomfortable dash to the nearest loo is never a pleasant experience, let alone praying you’ve brought enough spares with you. The cup holds far more than a tampon – up to 3 times as much – so there’s no need to worry about forgetting your spares or leaking through.

They’re Healthier for Your Vagina

Menstrual cups are free of all those chemicals, plastics and scents which many liners and tampons contain. Usually made of medical-grade silicon, the cup is a much healthier alternative for you and your vagina. And, rather than absorbing blood, cups collect it, meaning that all the natural fluids which maintain a healthy vagina remain there, and vital moisture is kept in.

They’re Cheaper

Of course, the most noticeable difference for students is your improved bank balance! The price of period products can add up pretty quickly when you’re buying products on a monthly basis (that ‘luxury’ VAT doesn’t help), but for a one-time payment you can get yourself a cup which will last years.

My cup was priced at around £20.00 with a lifetime of 10 years (that’s a cost of around 17p a month compared to the £3.00 monthly cost of my tampons – a huge saving!). And, if that wasn’t enough, the company I purchased from also offered a 90-day trial period during which, if you decided you did not like the cup, you could get your money refunded. The Student’s Union also sell menstrual cups for a bargain £3 each.

All of these savings mean you can spend more on the important things…like a big tub of ice cream to soothe those cramps!

If you still have worries about insertion and first-time use, then make sure to head over to YouTube – there are loads of online tutorials and step-by-steps which are really helpful.

Now it’s your turn to try the switch!

Lily Norman

Lancaster '20

I'm Lily, a third year English Literature Student and tree-hugger. Cries at movies and spends too much on food.
Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓