Why Winter is a Winner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

In terms of popularity, the season of summer seems to get the best reception. Let’s face it, who hasn’t started thinking about summer already? Three months off University, holidays, and music festivals as well as the sunshine, the beach and the barbeques which all seem far more appealing when compared to cold, dark, and rainy days. It is hardly surprising that we’re dreaming of summer, when we still have winter and spring to go. But, don’t overlook winter, it still has a lot going for it! Here’s why.

Celebrations

The most obvious reason to love winter has got to be the celebrations: Christmas and New Year. Christmas is arguably one of the best days of the year because you get to have a great time with the people you love, exchange presents and, of course, the food! On no other day of the year is it acceptable to eat a whole box of Heroes to yourself or to have an obscenely large mountain of food to eat – that alone should be a reason for why winter should be treasured. And where do we begin with New Year? There are so many different ways to spend New Year’s Eve, as you can be with family or friends, staying in or going out, watching fireworks in a city or in the garden, and it generally results in a good time.

Cosy nights-in

When it is freezing outside and pouring with rain, going out may not seem particularly inviting. Winter nights are perfect for snuggling up on the sofa and having a movie night. It is the perfect escape from the outside weather and having a film night with your flatmates or friends means you can still be sociable. Or, if you fancy a quiet night to yourself, having a film night tucked up in bed is so tempting as well. Imagine all the movie marathons you can go through…

Snow

What is more exciting, a sunny, hot day or snow? It’s a tough call, but you have to admit that fluffy, fresh snow is brilliant. Waking up in the morning and seeing a layer of untouched snow on the ground can be enough to revert you straight back to childhood. You can’t resist building snowmen and other snow sculptures which can be entertaining for hours. Plus, even the most mature amongst us can’t resist having a snowball fight!

Cuisine for the cold

Does anyone else find that a hearty homemade meal tastes so much better in winter? Sometimes, a roast on a cold day is all you need, in fact, any food is seemingly more appreciated on a winter day- especially if it warms you up. And, hot drinks can function as an excellent hand warmer during winter time!

Winter Wardrobe

A new season means a new wardrobe, which is a reason to love every season of the year, but the winter wardrobe especially as it comes with a lot of choice. From boots to bobble hats, the chilly weather means you can indulge in all the essential items which are necessary to help you keep warm.  And since items like fluffy socks, knitted jumpers and big scarves become necessary to protect yourself from the winter weather, it eases the guilt of spending sprees!

But if you’re still not convinced that winter isn’t that bad, at least we are getting closer to having summer again! 

Mother tongue English, fully Italian. Born in Tokyo, lived in Hong Kong, grew up in Milan and currently studying at Lancaster University, UK. Multi lingual, I love to read, write, sing, cook and lead a healthy lifestyle. Her Campus Lancaster Editor in Chief as of April 2014!