alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why April Was A Month Of Great Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

April can be a stressful month: revision commences, module-choosing begins, and let’s just say your bank balance isn’t looking its healthiest. But, if there’s one thing that can distract you from all of the above, it’s a new a playlist. Thankfully, April has served us the goods and we can enjoy them well into the month of May.

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? – Billie Eilish

Ok, being released on March 29th, this technically doesn’t count – it’s just too good not to include in this list. After much anticipation and multiple smash singles, including ‘bury a friend’ and ‘wish you were gay,’ Billie’s debut album exceeded all of our expectations.

Super Sad Generation – Arlo Parks

Serving ALL the feels, 18-year-old Arlo’s confessional EP was the perfect way to kick off the month. Four soulful songs for the fourth of the month.

What’s It Like Over There? – Circa Waves

If you’re a fan of the Vaccines and Arctic Monkeys, April 5th was almost definitely on your release radar. This was the third full-length album for the band, and tracks ‘Movies’ and ‘Times Won’t Change Me’ have already hit 2.5 million listens on Spotify.           

HOMECOMING: THE LIVE ALBUM – Beyoncé

April 17th bought us the live album supporting Beyoncé’s Coachella film on Netflix: ‘HOMECOMING.’ As with anything Yoncé gives us, it was sensational. And, if you’re a fan of Queen Bey (and who isn’t?), April gifted more good news: Lemonade is now on Spotify.

Cuz I Love You – Lizzo

Kicking off Taurus season on April 19th was the Taurus Queen herself, Lizzo’s debut album ‘Cuz I Love You.’ After huge success with singles ‘Juice,’ ‘Good as Hell,’ and ‘Truth Hurts,’ this album was met with a huge amount of support, and rightly so.

Feeding Seahorses by Hand – Billie Marten

North Yorkshire-based singer/songwriter Billie Marten first caught the attention of the public in 2011 via YouTube. Since then, her indie folk, lyrical style has matured, resulting in the beautiful ‘Feeding Seahorses by Hand’ on April 26th.

Grim Town – SOAK

One of the Mercury Prize’s youngest ever nominees, SOAK’s second studio album ‘Grim Town’ was released on April 26th, after 4 years of a smattering of singles, including ‘I Can’t Make You Love Me.’ The album has already been greatly received by fans, new and old.

The Balance – Catfish and the Bottlemen

Perhaps the most greatly anticipated in this list, Catfish and the Bottlemen’s third studio album dropped on April 26th. Put simply: if you liked their old stuff, you’ll like this, too.

LOVE + FEAR – MARINA

Formerly Marina and the Diamonds, MARINA’s first album since her rebrand was fully unveiled on April 26th, marking a shift away from her signature, electro-pop genre. ‘LOVE+FEAR’ is raw, honest, and refreshingly different.

All images from Cover My Tunes 

Emily Watson

Lancaster '20

Linguistics and English Language 👩🏼‍🎓
Helen Jordan

Lancaster '19

Helen is a third year English Language student and will graduate in 2019. Her favourite topics to write about include cooking and tips for uni life. This is Helen's second year writing for Her Campus and she is looking forward to her role as Chapter Correspondent for Lancaster in the 2018/2019 academic year.