What Will You Be Wearing This Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lancaster chapter.

Valentine’s Day. The day some dread, the day some eagerly await so that they can enjoy a night with their loved one, but most of all, a day to get majorly dressed up to the nines. Whether we are getting ready to be wined and dined by our partner, or if we are just waiting to be handed a drink – or bottle – to drown our single sorrows on a singles only girl’s night out, no one can shy away from the 14th that is slowly creeping up on us. So, we do all need something special to wear which is why we have devised a short guide to help you pick out that number for this controversial day.  

Jump into Valentine’s Day

For the biggest night out of the month, why wear something as ordinary as a dress? A dress has the potential to be transformed into a daytime, casual ensemble despite the design or shape which is something that is difficult for a jumpsuit. Even though this could be a little intimidating, don’t reject this particular jumpsuit from Topshop as the monochrome floral print is executed to fit Spring/Summer 2014 trends, making it the perfect number for a special occasion. This item would be a flawless ensemble to be worn whilst celebrating Valentine’s Day with your partner, as it does not expel all the traditions of this date. For instance, even though this jumpsuit does not allow any skin to be shown like a typical mini dress would, it gives that added appeal. By teaming this with a deep red berry lipstick it would give connotations of sophistication.

The Desirable Dress

If the jumpsuit isn’t tailored to your personal style, then this number may appeal to you. Try and steer clear of the LBD because I can assure you that there will be hundreds strutting around restaurants and bars in a variety of different textures and silhouettes, but still sending the same message: predictable. Instead, consider this white shift dress from ASOS. It’s a refreshing choice of colour as opposed to black, coupled with a combination of the textured material and the inserted mesh detail, for your undeniably “in style” go-to dress. Like the option of the jumpsuit, this dress allows us to express sophistication through the minimalistic design. Also, the mesh inserted detail allows us to save money on what we would have spent on accessories.

Be Fancied in Fondant

As the fashion industry has allowed the pastel shades to remain in our wardrobe, we are able to ooze femininity for Valentine’s Day in this next outfit. Leaning over towards the skirt and top combination, head over to River Island where they have stocked a pink lace overlay pencil skirt which teamed with a simple white boxy crop top, creates an elegant evening wear number, ideal for this particular occasion. 

My name is Hannah Hobson and I am currently studying English Language at Lancaster University with an ambition to become a fashion journalist.